Difficult Improper Integral Involving Arctan(x)

In summary, the conversation is about a person working through some challenge problems from their old calculus textbook for fun. They are stuck on one of the integrals and can't find any solutions online. The integral is expressed as an iterated integral and the final answer is (π/2)ln(π). The conversation also touches on the anti-derivative of arctan(y), the consequences of changing the order of integration, and a generalization for integrals of the form (f(αx) - f(βx))/x.
caleb5040
So recently I've been working through some challenge problems from my old calculus textbook for fun. I'm stuck on one of the integrals, though, and can't find any solutions online. This isn't for homework...it's for my interest and hopefully the interest of others. Here it is (sorry about the formatting):

int((arctan(Pi*x)-arctan(x))/x, x = 0 .. infinity)

In the problem statement it says you first need to express the integral as an iterated integral. I also know the answer is (π/2)ln(π).

Physics news on Phys.org
caleb5040 said:
So recently I've been working through some challenge problems from my old calculus textbook for fun. I'm stuck on one of the integrals, though, and can't find any solutions online. This isn't for homework...it's for my interest and hopefully the interest of others. Here it is (sorry about the formatting):

int((arctan(Pi*x)-arctan(x))/x, x = 0 .. infinity)

In the problem statement it says you first need to express the integral as an iterated integral. I also know the answer is (π/2)ln(π).
Interesting problem ...

[itex]\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \frac{\arctan(\pi x)-\arctan(x)}{x}\,dx[/itex]

That this may come from an iterated integral suggests:
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_0^\infty \left(\displaystyle \left.\arctan(y)\right|_{y=x}^{y=\pi x}\right)\frac{1}{x}\,dx[/itex]​

arctan(y) is the anti-derivative of what function?

If you write this as an iterated integral, what happens if you change the order of integration ?

The answer is zero.

Edit:
Actually, because each term:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{\arctan x}{x} \, dx}
[/tex]
is logarithmically divergent on the upper bound, we need to be more careful. Your integral reduces to the following limit:
[tex]
\lim_{B \rightarrow \infty} \int_{B}^{B \pi}{\frac{\arctan x}{x} \, dx}
[/tex]
[strikeout]Make the substitution [itex]x = \tan(z/2)[/itex]. You will get:
[tex]
2 \,\int^{2\arctan(B/\pi)}_{2\arctan{B}}{\frac{z}{\sin z} \, dz}, \ B \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
[/strikeout]

Edit2:
Scratch the last subst. Try this [itex]x = B y[/itex]. You get:
[tex]
\int_{1}^{\pi}{\frac{\arctan(B \, y)}{y} \, dy}, \ B \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
Now, in the above limit the arctangent is [itex]\pi/2[/itex], and the remaining integral is [itex]\ln \pi[/itex]. Combining everything, we get:
[tex]
\frac{\pi \, \ln \pi}{2}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you both. Those were just the thoughts I needed to do it myself.
Sorry for not posting my initial attempts...they both involved rewriting the integral as an iterated integral and switching the order (I figured out two ways of doing this). The trouble was that each time the integral became more complex. Now it makes sense, though.

You might be interested to know that in general, if [itex] \frac{f(x)}{x} [/itex] is integrable on any interval [itex] [a , b] [/itex] for [itex] 0<a<b [/itex] then for all [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex]\beta > 0[/itex]:

[tex] \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{f(\alpha x)-f(\beta x)} {x} dx = (A-B)\ln(\frac{\beta} {\alpha}) [/tex]

where [itex] \displaystyle A = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^{+}} f(x) [/itex] and [itex] \displaystyle B = \lim_{x \rightarrow ∞} f(x) [/itex]

Boorglar said:
You might be interested to know that in general, if [itex] \frac{f(x)}{x} [/itex] is integrable on any interval [itex] [a , b] [/itex] for [itex] 0<a<b [/itex] then for all [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex]\beta > 0[/itex]:

[tex] \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{f(\alpha x)-f(\beta x)} {x} dx = (A-B)\ln(\frac{\beta} {\alpha}) [/tex]

where [itex] \displaystyle A = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^{+}} f(x) [/itex] and [itex] \displaystyle B = \lim_{x \rightarrow ∞} f(x) [/itex]

Interesting! I think I see how to prove the generalization.

Related to Difficult Improper Integral Involving Arctan(x)

1. What is an improper integral involving arctan(x)?

An improper integral involving arctan(x) is an integral that cannot be evaluated using traditional integration methods because it has an infinite limit of integration or an integrand that is undefined at certain points.

2. How do you solve a difficult improper integral involving arctan(x)?

Solving a difficult improper integral involving arctan(x) requires using techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions to manipulate the integrand into a form that can be evaluated. It may also involve using trigonometric identities or properties of arctan(x) to simplify the integral.

3. What is the significance of arctan(x) in the integral?

Arctan(x) is a trigonometric function that represents the inverse tangent of x. It is often used in integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions because it helps to simplify the integral and make it more manageable.

4. What are some real-world applications of difficult improper integrals involving arctan(x)?

Difficult improper integrals involving arctan(x) can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the deflection of a beam under a distributed load or the force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle moving through it. They can also be used in economics to calculate the present value of future cash flows.

5. Are there any tricks or tips for solving difficult improper integrals involving arctan(x)?

One trick for solving difficult improper integrals involving arctan(x) is to rewrite the integral in terms of a new variable, such as u = arctan(x), and then use the properties of arctan(x) to simplify the integral. It can also be helpful to use trigonometric identities or integration by parts to manipulate the integrand into a more manageable form.