Differentiation With L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the conversation is about two questions, 2a and 2b, and the use of L'Hopital's Rule to solve them. The answer for 2a is ln6-ln3, and for 2b, the initial attempt gave an answer of infinity, but after applying L'Hopital's Rule again, the correct answer was found to be 1. The conversation also includes a suggestion to simplify the solution for 2a using logarithm rules.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

Need some more help again. I'll keep it brief.

This thread is only for question 2ab. Please ignore question 1:
08b1167bae0c33982682_21.jpg

For 2a, I simply employed L'Hopital's Rule since 0/0 is indeterminate form. Thus, my final answer came out to be: ln6-ln3.

As for 2b, I computed an indeterminate form in the form of 0^0, which requires L'Hopital's Rule.

After taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator respectively, I ultimately obtained 0.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

Need some more help again. I'll keep it brief.

This thread is only for question 2ab. Please ignore question 1:For 2a, I simply employed L'Hopital's Rule since 0/0 is indeterminate form. Thus, my final answer came out to be: ln6-ln3.

As for 2b, I computed an indeterminate form in the form of 0^0, which requires L'Hopital's Rule.

After taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator respectively, I ultimately obtained 0.
Thanks in advance.

Hi ardentmed, :)

The answer for 2a is correct. However you can simplify it a little bit using the rules of logarithms. Could you see how?

The answer for 2b is incorrect. Could you write down your attempt at solving it so that I can tell where you made the mistake. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi ardentmed, :)

The answer for 2a is correct. However you can simplify it a little bit using the rules of logarithms. Could you see how?

The answer for 2b is incorrect. Could you write down your attempt at solving it so that I can tell where you made the mistake. :)

Sure, I carried down the x as I converted the function to its logarithmic form, giving me xlntan(2x), I then proceeded to move the x down into the denominator (so it becomes 1/x in the denominator).

Moreover, I applied L'Hopital's Rule and took the derivative (albeit I'm not too sure if the function actually gives 0/0, but it looks like it).

This gave me:

2sec^2(2x) / tan(2x) * (-x^2 / 1) = infinity.

So the answer would be e^infinity = +infinity.

I'm at a loss as to how I arrived at this answer, as I'm almost definite that it is incorrect. I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to apply L'hopital's rule again? 2sec^2(2x) / tan(2x) * (-x^2 / 1) seems to be in that form.

Rido12 said:
Have you tried to apply L'hopital's rule again? 2sec^2(2x) / tan(2x) * (-x^2 / 1) seems to be in that form.

Oh, is it in indeterminate form? I computed it to be infinity, but it could potentially be 0/0, but I'm not too sure.

\(\displaystyle \ln\left({y}\right)= \lim_{{x}\to{0^+}} \frac{2(sec2x)^2(-x^2)}{tan2x} \) is of the form 0/0.

Rido12 said:
\(\displaystyle \ln\left({y}\right)= \lim_{{x}\to{0^+}} \frac{2(sec2x)^2(-x^2)}{tan2x} \) is of the form 0/0.

Alright, so I performed another round of L'Hopital's rule and computed lny=0 because:

lny= $\lim_{{x}\to{0+}} (-4x^2 * tan2x-x)/1 $

Ergo,

y= e^0

Thus, the limit is 1.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.

That is correct, the limit evaluates to 1.

Related to Differentiation With L'Hopital's Rule

What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for evaluating limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

When is L'Hopital's Rule applicable?

L'Hopital's Rule is applicable when the limit of a function can be expressed as a fraction of two functions that both approach 0 or infinity.

What is the process for using L'Hopital's Rule?

The process for using L'Hopital's Rule involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the original fraction, and then evaluating the limit again. This process can be repeated until a solution is found or until it is determined that L'Hopital's Rule is not applicable.

Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used for limits of indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for other types of limits, such as limits approaching a finite number or limits at infinity.

Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for functions with multiple variables?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used for functions with one variable. It cannot be applied to functions with multiple variables.