Why can't I apply L'Hopital's rule to all indeterminate forms?

In summary, L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to indeterminate forms of 0/0 or ∞/∞. Other forms such as 0*∞ or ∞-∞ cannot be solved using this rule. The forms that can be solved using L'Hopital's rule can be identified by evaluating the limit and getting the result of either 0 or ∞. Other methods for solving indeterminate forms include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and using limit theorems such as the Squeeze Theorem or Limit Comparison Test. However, L'Hopital's rule cannot be used for functions with multiple variables or for multivariable limits.
tmt1
I have a certain set of problems (i.e. https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/limcondirectory/LimitConstant.html), where many problems are in an indeterminate form ($\frac{0}{0}$) but if we apply L'Hopital's rule it yields an incorrect answer. Instead, I have to simplify the expression and then evaluate the expression like normal.

For example, $$\lim_{{x}\to{3}} \frac{x^4 - 81}{2x^2 - 5x - 3}$$.

If I apply l'hopital's rule, I get $\frac{x^3}{x} = 9$ but this is the wrong answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have a certain set of problems (i.e. https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/limcondirectory/LimitConstant.html), where many problems are in an indeterminate form ($\frac{0}{0}$) but if we apply L'Hopital's rule it yields an incorrect answer. Instead, I have to simplify the expression and then evaluate the expression like normal.

For example, $$\lim_{{x}\to{3}} \frac{x^4 - 81}{2x^2 - 5x - 3}$$.

If I apply l'hopital's rule, I get $\frac{x^3}{x} = 9$ but this is the wrong answer.

Hi tmt! ;)

Applying L'Hôpital's rule I'm getting:
$$\lim_{{x}\to{3}} \frac{x^4 - 81}{2x^2 - 5x - 3}
= \lim_{{x}\to{3}} \frac{4x^3}{4x - 5}
= \frac{4\cdot 3^3}{4\cdot 3 - 5}
= \frac{108}{7}
$$

Applying L'Hopital's rule, that is, differentiating numerator and denominator separately, we have \(\displaystyle \frac{4x^3}{4x- 5}\), not "\(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{x}\). It looks like you forgot the "-5" in the derivative of the denominator.

Added later: for a problem like this, you don't really need to apply "L'Hopital's rule". Since numerator and denominator are polynomials that are equal to 0 when x= 3, it follows immediately that both have a factor of x- 3. [tex]x^4- 81= (x^2- 9)(x^2+ 9)= (x- 3)(x+ 3)(x^3+ 9)[/tex]. [tex]2x^2- 5x- 3= (2x+ 1)(x- 3)[/tex]. (Knowing that x- 3 is a factor makes that a lot easier to factor.)

So, for x not equal to 3, [tex]\frac{x^2- 81}{x^2- 5x- 3}=[/tex][tex] \frac{(x- 3)(x+ 3)(x^2+ 9)}{(x- 3)(2x+ 1)}[/tex][tex]= \frac{(x+ 3)(x^2+ 9)}{2x+ 1}[/tex] and so [tex]\lim_{x\to 3}\frac{x^2- 81}{x^2- 5x- 3}= \lim_{x\to 3} \frac{(x+ 3)(x^2+ 9)}{2x+ 1}[/tex][tex]= \frac{(3+ 3)(9+ 9)}{ 6+ 1}= \frac{108}{7}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why can't I apply L'Hopital's rule to all indeterminate forms?

1. Why can't I apply L'Hopital's rule to all indeterminate forms?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to certain types of indeterminate forms, specifically the forms 0/0 or ∞/∞. This is because the rule relies on taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of a function to evaluate its limit, and this only works for these specific forms.

2. Can I use L'Hopital's rule for forms like 0*∞ or ∞-∞?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied to forms like 0*∞ or ∞-∞. These are considered to be "undefined" forms and do not fall under the criteria for which the rule can be used.

3. How do I know which indeterminate forms can be solved using L'Hopital's rule?

The indeterminate forms that can be solved using L'Hopital's rule are 0/0 or ∞/∞. These forms can be identified by evaluating the limit of the function and getting the result of either 0 or ∞.

4. Are there any other methods to solve indeterminate forms besides L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are other methods to solve indeterminate forms. These include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and using other limit theorems such as the Squeeze Theorem or the Limit Comparison Test.

5. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for functions with multiple variables?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to functions with a single variable. It cannot be used for functions with multiple variables or for multivariable limits.