Differentiation equation: equation of motion

In summary: Thus, the particle will get close to $O$ at a distance of 2 meters. Its speed when it has reached this point will be 4 meters per second.
markosheehan
a particle of mass m is projected towards a point O with initial speed √5/3 m/s from a point P where [OP]=3 metres. the particle is repelled from O by a force of magnitude 4m/x³ where x is its distance from O.
(i) show that the equation of motion is v dv=4x^-3 dx
(ii) find how close the particle will get to O
(iii) find its speed when it has traveled half the distance from P to this nearest point
i do not know even how to start this question off could someone show me the step to step guide to answer the qustion

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: differentiation equation

First, I would orient an axis of motion with units of meters and with the origin at $O$, and put the particle initially at $x_0=3$, with \(\displaystyle v_0=-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\).

Now, according to Newton's 2nd law of motion in 1 dimension, we have acceleration $a$ given by:

\(\displaystyle a=\frac{F}{m}\)

We also know acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity:

\(\displaystyle a=\frac{dv}{dt}\)

And that velocity is the time rate of change of position:

\(\displaystyle v=\frac{dx}{dt}\)

Can you now use these definitions/laws to obtain:

\(\displaystyle v\,dv=4x^{-3}\,dx\)?

thanks for helping and i understand everything you say up to the last line how do you get v dv=4x^-3 dx. what does equation of motion mean?

markosheehan said:
thanks for helping and i understand everything you say up to the last line how do you get v dv=4x^-3 dx. what does equation of motion mean?

We know:

\(\displaystyle a=\d{v}{t}=\frac{F}{m}\)

We are given:

\(\displaystyle F=4mx^{-3}\)

and so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{v}{t}=4x^{-3}\)

Can you take the relationship between velocity and position to complete the equation?

What you wind up with is an equation relating the particle's velocity and position, and so it is called an "equation of motion." This equation is an ODE, and since you have initial conditions to go along with it, you have an IVP which can be completely solved to determine the particle's velocity as a function of its position.

Ok I think I get it thanks

Okay, now to answer part ii), I recommend switching the dummy variables of integration and using the boundaries as the limits of integration as follows:

\(\displaystyle \int_{v_0}^{v(x)} u\,du=4\int_{x_0}^{x} w^{-3}\,dw\)

Applying the FTOC, what do you get?

Once you have $v(x)$, what do we know about $v$ at the moment when the particle has reached it's nearest point to $O$?

what does u and w stand for why did u use them at all?. and once i keep going from v dv=4x^-3 dx i get v²/2= x^-2/-2 and then when i apply definte integrals to this i get v²/2-0²/2=x^-2/-2 -0^-2/-2 and this equals v²/2=x^-2/-2 and its final speed is 0 so 0²/2=x^-2/-2 and i can't get passed this i must of done something wrong by the way the answer to part (ii) is 2 metres

sorry i made a mistake when i was integrating i forgot that i know the initial speed √5/3 this is now the answer √5/3 ²/2 -0²/2=x^-2/-2 -0^-2/-2 however if i go on from this i do not get the right answer do you know what to do?

When I carry out the integration, I get:

\(\displaystyle v^2(x)=\frac{4}{x_0^2}-\frac{4}{x^2}+v_0^2\)

The variables of integration are "dummy variables" since they get integrated out, and so I replaced them in order to not have the same variables in the integral as I had in the limits.

So, letting $v(x)=0$ and solving for $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x_{\min}=\frac{2x_0}{\sqrt{4+x_0^2v_0^2}}\)

Plugging in the given values:

\(\displaystyle x_{\min}=\frac{2(3)}{\sqrt{4+(3)^2\left(\dfrac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)^2}}=\frac{6}{\sqrt{9}}=2\)

Related to Differentiation equation: equation of motion

What is a differentiation equation?

A differentiation equation is an equation that involves a mathematical operation called differentiation. It is used to describe the relationship between a dependent variable and an independent variable in terms of their rates of change.

What is the equation of motion?

The equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the motion of an object. It describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

How is differentiation used in the equation of motion?

Differentiation is used in the equation of motion to find an object's velocity and acceleration at any given time. The first derivative of an object's position with respect to time gives its velocity, and the second derivative gives its acceleration.

What are the variables involved in the differentiation equation for motion?

The variables involved in a differentiation equation for motion are time, position, velocity, and acceleration. Time (t) is the independent variable, and position (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) are dependent variables.

Can differentiation equations be used to describe any type of motion?

Yes, differentiation equations can be used to describe any type of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. The specific equation used may vary depending on the type of motion being described.