Differentiation by the Product Rule

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the rules for finding derivatives and the process of using them to find the equations of tangents to curves at given points. The expert advises on where the mistakes were made in the working and suggests brushing up on algebra. The expert also clarifies the difference between finding the derivative and finding the equation of a tangent line.
Timiop2008
Hi
I have been asked to solve the following 2 questions using 'rules' to find the derivative.
(The Product Rule, The Chain Rule or The Quotient Rule.) but I can't remember what these rules are or how they are used

Q1:
Find the equation of the tangent to each of the following curves at the given point:
i) y=x3lnx when x=1
ii) y=x(√3x+1) when x=5
iii) y=x3e-2x when x=0

I already have the answers but cannot figure out the working out to get to them.
Any help would be very appreciated.
ANSWERS:
i) y=x-1
ii) 8y=47x-75
iii) y=0

Physics news on Phys.org
How about you first look up those rules then?
Can you at least remember for which kind of functions they were used? For example, when do you use the product rule?

OK

Using the product rule, so far, I have:
i)
y= x3lnx
y= x3.lnx
dy/dx= 3x2.lnx + 1/x.x3
dy/dx= 3x2lnx + (x-1.x3)
dy/dx= 3x2lnx+x2
dy/dx= 4x2lnx

ii)
y= x(3x+1)1/2
dy/dx= 1.3x+11/2+x.3/2x-1/2
dy/dx= 3x+11/2+(3/2x2)-1/2
dy/dx= 4.5x3+1

iii)
y= x3.e-2x
dy/dx= 3x2.e-2x+x3.-2e-2x
dy/dx= 3x2e-2x+x3-2e-2x
dy/dx= 3x2-e-2x+x3

Timiop2008 said:
OK

Using the product rule, so far, I have:
i)
y= x3lnx
y= x3.lnx
dy/dx= 3x2.lnx + 1/x.x3
dy/dx= 3x2lnx + (x-1.x3)
dy/dx= 3x2lnx+x2
So far, you are correct. However, the last step to 4x2lnx is wrong. In the first term you have something with ln(x), you cannot simply add that to a term without ln(x). If you let a = x2 and b = ln(x), you are saying that 3 a b + a = 4 a b, which I hope you can see it not true.

Timiop2008 said:
iii)
y= x3.e-2x
dy/dx= 3x2.e-2x+x3.-2e-2x
Again, you did the differentiation correctly, but you made an error in simplifying.
On the last line I quoted you have x3.-2e-2x, and on the next line you have removed the dot and written x3-2e-2x. However, those are NOT the same. In the first case, you mean: take x3 and multiply it by a multiple of e-2x. In the second case, you mean: take x3 and subtract from that a multiple of e-2x. The common way of removing the explicit multiplication dot, is writing the numerical factor at the front:
x3-2e-2x = -2 x3 e-2x
either of which means: multiply all of minus 2, x3 and e-2x together.

Timiop2008 said:
dy/dx= 3x2e-2x+x3-2e-2x
dy/dx= 3x2-e-2x+x3
[/QUOTE]
Also here you are making the same mistake as in i): e-2x and x2e are different things, you cannot just add them together.
Timiop2008 said:
ii)
y= x(3x+1)1/2
dy/dx= 1.3x+11/2+x.3/2x-1/2
dy/dx= 3x+11/2+(3/2x2)-1/2
dy/dx= 4.5x3+1
I cannot really see what you are doing there. By the product rule,
dy/dx = 1 . (3x + 1)1/2 + x d/dx( (3x+1)1/2 )
and you need the chain rule to evaluate the derivative of (3x+1)1/2.

In other words, your differentiation techniques are probably better than you think, but you really need to brush up on your algebra. Be careful when working with brackets (you cannot write (3x + 1)1/2 = (3x)1/2 + 11/2, for example) and watch out that when you combine terms, they only differ by a number. For example, you can add 2x to 3x to get 5x, but you can't add 2x to 5x2 to get 7x2, or something like that.

Thank You
But how does this link to the answers given of:
i) y=x-1
ii) 8y=47x-75
iii) y=0
when the answers we are discussing are so different
ie i) 3x2lnx
iii) 3x2-e-2x+x3

I have no idea what those answers have to do with it.
Especially since you are given values of x at which to evaluate the derivatives, so you should just get a number in the end.

Are you sure they are the answers to the question you are asking?

CompuChip, the question asked was to "find the equation of the tangent to each of the following curves at the given point", not just to find the derivative (although that was how the title to the thread was given).

Timiop2008, these question assume that you know that the slope of the tangent line is the derivative evaluated at the given point and that you know how to find the equation of a line given the slope and a point on the line. Do you know those things?

Related to Differentiation by the Product Rule

1. What is the product rule for differentiation?

The product rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is the product of two other functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When is the product rule used in differentiation?

The product rule is used when finding the derivative of a function that is the product of two or more other functions. It is especially useful when one or both of the functions are too complex to differentiate using basic rules.

3. How do you apply the product rule in differentiation?

To apply the product rule, you need to first identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, take the derivative of the first function and multiply it by the second function. Next, take the derivative of the second function and multiply it by the first function. Finally, add these two terms together to get the derivative of the original function.

4. Can the product rule be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to any number of functions that are multiplied together. To differentiate a function with three or more terms, you would follow the same process as with two terms, but continue to add on the derivative of each subsequent function multiplied by all the other functions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the product rule?

There are some exceptions to the product rule, such as when one of the functions is a constant or when the two functions are the same. In these cases, the product rule is not necessary and simpler differentiation rules can be applied. Additionally, the product rule does not work for products of infinitely many functions, which would require a different approach to find the derivative.