Differentiated values are treated just like any other variable, right?

• Thread starter Juxtaroberto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the derivative of a function. The person providing the solution made a mistake by forgetting to divide by two, but it did not affect the final answer. They also address the use of calculus in this problem and suggest using a different method to solve it.
Juxtaroberto
http://www.algebra.com/algebra/home...aneous_Word_Problems.faq.question.596257.html

One of the steps leads us to

A=2x√(r2-x2).

The page then says that we could differentiate at this step, but that it would be easier to first square both sides, so as to not have to apply the product rule and the chain rule, and we end up with

A2=4x2(r2-x2)
A2=4r2x2-4x4

Then we differentiate both sides with respect to x

2A dA/dx=8r2x-16x3

This is where it gets weird, and I don't know if I am simply not advanced enough in math, or if this person made a mistake. He then divides both sides by 2A to isolate dA/dx, but after he does it, he ends up with

dA/dx=(8r2x-16x3)/A

What happened to the 2? It wasn't reduced out of the numerator... can we just drop it? Furthermore, in a later step, he multiplies both sides of the equation by A... I thought we weren't generally allowed to do that, because it removes possible solutions? I'm assuming this time it was allowed because A stands for the area in general, and not the variable x we were trying to solve... right?

I hope someone can help me with this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you are right: he forgot to divide by two. It doesn't affect his answer in the end, because he is setting dA/dx = 0. But yes, he would lose marks. As for your second question, we are only interested in rectangles with strictly positive area, ##A\neq 0##. It's the context of the question.

As an aside, this is an example of when you shouldn't use calculus. From the generalized mean inequality we have
[itex]A = 2xy = 2 M_0(x,y)^2 \leq 2 M_2(x,y)^2 = 2 \frac{r^2}{2} = r^2[/itex] with equality when x = y. Yeah, it's a one liner.

Related to Differentiated values are treated just like any other variable, right?

1. What are differentiated values?

Differentiated values refer to the unique characteristics or attributes of a variable that distinguish it from other variables.

2. How are differentiated values treated?

Differentiated values are treated just like any other variable in a scientific study. They are measured, analyzed, and used to make conclusions or predictions.

3. Are differentiated values important in research?

Yes, differentiated values are important in research because they allow scientists to examine and understand the nuances and complexities of variables, leading to more accurate and meaningful conclusions.

4. Can differentiated values impact the results of a study?

Yes, differentiated values can greatly impact the results of a study. They can reveal patterns, relationships, or differences that may be missed if all variables were treated the same.

5. How can scientists ensure that differentiated values are accurately represented in their study?

Scientists can ensure accurate representation of differentiated values by carefully selecting and measuring variables, using appropriate statistical analyses, and considering all variables in the interpretation of results.