Critiquing separation of variables method for PDE.

In summary, the conversation discusses the "applied" nature of PDE courses and focuses on the separation of variables method for solving PDEs. The method is questioned for its simplicity and vagueness, but is also praised for its practicality in modeling heat flow. The conversation also touches on the topic of uniqueness and existence of solutions for non-linear PDEs and the use of Sturm-Liouville theory in finding complete orthogonal sets of functions.
Sefrez
"Critiquing" separation of variables method for PDE.

I am currently taking a course in PDE's and it has been very "applied" and not so much theory based. I can say its been separate this separate that separate this separate that… Enough! We are always "separating variables" and it always "works". I get the feeling that much more is going on with the select few equations that we are solving with this method given that I can easily come up with a linear PDE where separation of variables falls.

I have looked at a few books and at various information on the web, and it all seems vague and up straight with the process of this method.

I'll base the rest of my post on a boundary value problem regarding the heat equation in it's simplest form. One dimensional, homogeneous boundary conditions, and an initial distribution f(x). The text in bold can be thought of as my comments/questions if someone was showing me how to solve this problem. Here we go:

We let the solution in its most general form be denoted by u = u(x, t).

The PDE:
[tex]u_t=au_{xx}, a > 0[/tex]
The boundary conditions:
[tex]u(0,t) = u(l,t) = 0, l > 0[/tex]
The initial condition:
[tex]u(x,0) = f(x)[/tex]
Assume f(x) is well defined in the region [0,l].

We let:
[tex]u(x,t) = X(x)T(t)[/tex]

Okay, I realize we are reducing our function space to those separable in the independent variables, but if we can arrive at a solution in the end with all conditions met and can show that this solution is unique, it must be the solution. Does this boundary value problem have a unique solution?

Simplifying notation by letting X(x) = X, T(t) = T, it must then follow that:
[tex]XT' = aX''T[/tex]

Dividing this by aXT, we get:
[tex]\frac{T'}{aT} = \frac{X''}{X}[/tex]

Okay, but this equation is not equivalent to the previous. What about division by zero? We are not assuming X(x)T(t) ≠ 0 for all x, t in (0,l), (0, ∞) are we? Given we are not, do we just let any countable pairs of (x0, t0) where U(x0, t0) = 0 belong to the solution so as to keep the solution continuous (rather than having holes)?

Given the left and right sides are independent, they must both equal the same constant. Therefore, in defining a constant λ, we have:
[tex]\frac{T'}{aT} = \frac{X''}{X} = \lambda[/tex]
Or:
[tex]T' = a \lambda T \\
X'' = \lambda X[/tex]
Now, if u(0,t) = 0, X(0)T(t) = 0. So either X(0) = 0 or T(t) = 0. We don't want T(t) identically zero, so X(0) = 0. Likewise, if u(l,t) = 0, then X(l) = 0.

The ODE in X with these boundary conditions has the following non-trivial solutions (eigenfunctions):
[tex]X_n = \sin(\frac{n\pi x}{l})[/tex]
with corresponding eigenvalues:
[tex]\lambda = - \frac{n^2\pi^2}{l^2}, n = 1,2,...[/tex]
These eigenfunctions form a complete orthogonal family.

That seems awfully convenient. Why should they?

The ODE in T then becomes a corresponding family of ODE's Tn:
[tex]T_n' = -\frac{an^2\pi^2}{l^2}T[/tex]
from which has the general solutions:
[tex]T = c_n e^{\frac{an^2\pi^2}{l^2}t}[/tex]

We can then construct a general Fourier series solution by:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n e^{\frac{an^2\pi^2}{l^2}t} \sin(\frac{n\pi x}{l}) [/tex]
From the initial condition, the coefficients can be found by orthogonality:
[tex]c_n = \frac{2}{l} \int_0^l f(x)\sin(\frac{n\pi x}{l}) dx[/tex]
where this is for t = 0.

So we have found a solution to the boundary value problem where u(x, 0) = f(x), at least in the L2 sense. That being said, ut(x, 0) is not necessarily f''(x) as the PDE would imply. What we did was find solutions to the PDE satisfying the boundary conditions individually and used the homogeneity/linearity of the problem to construct a general solution as the sum of these. Therefore, on a term by term basis, we know that (un)t = (un)xx. For many f(x) were there is L2 convergence, it is not so that g'(x) = f(x) where g(x) is the expansion of f(x). In fact, f(x) must have continuous periodic extension. So indeed, if u(0, t) = f(x), it is not necessary that ut(x,0) = uxx(x,0) = f''(x) because our solution satisfies the PDE on a term by term basis. So what is it about this method that allows it to actually work? It seems as if there are some stability properties to the PDE.

Sorry for the long post. I have moved much further in my PDE course as far as the various problems I am dealing with, but it is these same questions that trouble me. Any answers or direction pointing is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
to answer your uniqueness question, the question you pose is actually one of clay institute's seven most important. if you can prove uniqueness for non-linear pde's in a general context, congrats, because now youre a millionaire (literally, they'll give you a million dollars). to further up what I am saying, consider the navier-stokes equations (as it seems you're already looking at the simplified ones).

So as it stands, attempt to find a solution; if it tends to describe a physical problem well, take it for what it is and disregard other possible solutions? Like the method here, is it used because it is a practical way of finding solutions that seem to model heat flow well?

for many of these problems that would seem the case. separation is a powerful idea, but if you can't get rid of those pesky partials, it doesn't seem anyone to date can generally prove existence or uniqueness.

Sefrez said:
That seems awfully convenient. Why should they?

If you're saying that in general solutions would form a complete basis, then that's obviously not the case. However, in many particular situations it does turn out to be true.

Recall and/or check out Sturm-Liouville theory of ODEs: A well-known result is that eigenfunctions of an S-L operator in a well-posed S-L problem form a complete orthogonal set of functions in L2(a,b) restricted to the functions satisfying the given boundary conditions. As it happens, the PDEs you're presented with often reduce to such problems after the separation of variables.

Related to Critiquing separation of variables method for PDE.

1. What is the separation of variables method for solving partial differential equations?

The separation of variables method is a technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by separating the variables into simpler equations. This method is particularly useful for PDEs that are linear and have boundary conditions.

2. How does the separation of variables method work?

The separation of variables method involves assuming a solution of the PDE in the form of a product of functions of each variable. This allows the PDE to be rewritten as a set of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be solved separately. The solutions to the ODEs are then combined to form the solution to the original PDE.

3. What are the advantages of using the separation of variables method?

The separation of variables method is a powerful and widely applicable technique for solving PDEs. It is relatively simple and straightforward, and can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields of science and engineering. Additionally, the solutions obtained using this method are often in closed form, making them easier to analyze and interpret.

4. What are the limitations of the separation of variables method?

The separation of variables method can only be applied to certain types of PDEs, specifically those that are linear and have well-defined boundary conditions. It also requires the PDE to be separable, which is not always the case. Additionally, the method may not always yield a complete solution, as some PDEs may require additional techniques or approximations.

5. Can the separation of variables method be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the separation of variables method can be extended to higher dimensions, although it becomes more complex and may not always be feasible. In three dimensions, for example, the PDE is separated into three separate ODEs, each with its own set of boundary conditions. This makes the method more time-consuming and may require advanced mathematical techniques such as Fourier series or Laplace transforms.