Differentiate inverse (e^x + ln x )

In this case, a = 1 and b = e. So you need to find f'(1). Can you do that?In summary, to find (f-1)'(e), we can use the formula (f-1)'(b) = 1/f'(a), where a is the value of x for which f(x) = e and b is the value of f(x) at a. In this case, a = 1 and b = e, so we need to find f'(1).
Ambidext

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = ex + ln x

Find (f-1) ' (e)

Homework Equations

let y = f-1 x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the inverse of f(x) but got stuck. I arrived at:

x = ey + ln y

How do I make y the subject of formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be able to algebraically find f-1(x) using normal means. You may need to use a special function to help you.

use this rule: (f-1)’(b) = 1/f’(a) where b=f(a).

To get a solve: e = ea + ln(a)

Ambidext said:
I tried finding the inverse of f(x) but got stuck. I arrived at:

x = ey + ln y

How do I make y the subject of formula?
You appear to have a misunderstanding of the concept of an inverse function. The inverse f-1 of some function f(x), if it exists, is the function that solves f-1(f(x))=x. If you denote y=f(x) you can compute df-1(y)/dy by the chain rule.

Try that.

Another aspect of the problem involves finding f-1(e). In general you will need to use numerical methods to find f-1(y). You do not need to resort to numerical methods to find f-1(e). This has an exact and rather simple answer.

Thank you all, for the replies.

D H said:
You appear to have a misunderstanding of the concept of an inverse function. The inverse f-1 of some function f(x), if it exists, is the function that solves f-1(f(x))=x. If you denote y=f(x) you can compute df-1(y)/dy by the chain rule.

Try that.

Another aspect of the problem involves finding f-1(e). In general you will need to use numerical methods to find f-1(y). You do not need to resort to numerical methods to find f-1(e). This has an exact and rather simple answer.

The question already gave y = f(x). Was simply lazy to use another letter for f-1(x) :rolleyes: But yeah, I do know that f-1(f(x)) = x. But your method to get df-1(x) / dx looks pretty good. Thanks!

By the way, I just realized my question was misleading the way I typed. I meant to differentiate f-1(e), where f(x) = ex + ln x, and not differentiate 1/f(e).

There is admittedly a bit of ambiguity in whether f-1 means the inverse function or the multiplicative inverse of the function. Nonetheless, we did figure out what you meant.

You still do want to differentiate f(x), by the way.

Well, I got:

f(e) = ee + ln e

let z = f-1(e)

e = ez + ln z
ln e = z + ln (ln z)

z = ln e - ln y

dz/de = 1/e - 1/y (dz/de)
dz/de(1 - 1/y) = 1/e
dz/de = 1 / e(1 - 1/y)

ARGHHH AND I GOT STUCK!

Ambidext said:
Well, I got:

f(e) = ee + ln e
You should not be looking for f(e). You want some value x such that f(x)=e. In short, you want f-1(e).

[QUOE]let z = f-1(e)[/QUOTE]
You don't want to do this, either. This is defining z to be the specific number f-1(e).

dz/de
This makes zero sense. z is a specific number here, not a variable, so the derivative with respect to some variable is zero. However, e is not a variable. It too is a specific number. Calculating dz/de makes as much sense as does d2/d3 (which is as meaningless as it looks).

D H said:
You should not be looking for f(e). You want some value x such that f(x)=e. In short, you want f-1(e).

So which means I should equate ln x + ex = e, and find for x?

But that'll give me

e = ln x + ex
1 = x + ln (ln x)
x =1 - ln (ln x) ?

Sorry my maths is just hopeless.

Ambidext said:
But that'll give me

e = ln x + ex

Hint: ln(1) = 0, look at what 'x' was replaced with.

Okay, so

e = ex + ln x
x = 1,

then how do I find (f-1)'(e)?

use the formula in post #3

Related to Differentiate inverse (e^x + ln x )

1. What is the formula for differentiating inverse (e^x + ln x)?

The formula for differentiating inverse (e^x + ln x) is 1/(e^x + x).

2. What is the derivative of inverse (e^x + ln x)?

The derivative of inverse (e^x + ln x) is 1/(e^x + x).

3. How do I differentiate inverse (e^x + ln x) using the chain rule?

To use the chain rule, first identify the outer and inner functions. In this case, the outer function is ln x and the inner function is e^x. Then, multiply the derivative of the outer function (1/x) by the derivative of the inner function (e^x), resulting in 1/(xe^x). Finally, substitute the original function (e^x + ln x) back in to get 1/(e^x + x).

4. Is it possible to differentiate inverse (e^x + ln x) without using the chain rule?

No, the chain rule is necessary to differentiate inverse (e^x + ln x) because it is a composite function, meaning it is made up of two or more functions.

5. What is the antiderivative of inverse (e^x + ln x)?

The antiderivative of inverse (e^x + ln x) is x + ln(x) + C, where C is a constant of integration.