Differentiate e^x and Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating e^x * cotx / 5sqrtx^2 using either the product rule or the quotient rule. It is recommended to use the product rule and think of the derivative of a quotient as the derivative of f(x) times g(x)^-1, taking into account the chain rule when differentiating g(x)^-1. Simplifying the equation by using the square root of x^2 may also make it easier to solve.
gabyoh23

Homework Statement

Differentiate
e^x * cotx / 5sqrtx^2
[Sorry for not using the formatting things. They didn't seem to be working for me, and this is urgent!]

Homework Equations

The quotient rule seems like that's the way to go...

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried using the product rule on the numerator, then plugging that into the quotient rule formula, but that was needlessly complicated. So, I went straight into using the quotient rule, but I got a huge messy equation. Could anyone clarify what I SHOULD be getting?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both ways are correct. Either do product rule inside of Quotient or do Product then do Quotient. Both will be potentially messy.

also is that 5sqrt(x^2) or (5sqrt(x))^2 or what?
because that should simple things out for you.

It's 5sqrt(x^2).
Sorry about that.

The quotient rule is never worth remembering IMO. Just use the product rule and think of the derivative of a quotient as

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \right) = \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x) \ g(x)^{-1}\right)
[/tex]

and don't forget to apply the chain rule when differentiating [tex]g(x)^{-1}[/tex].

It's too easy to forget the quotient rule on an exam, and also too easy to screw it up when you're in a rush to get everything done in 50 minutes on a midterm. The product rule and chain rule are easy though, and critical to know anyways.

What's the square root of x^2?

that will make it a little simpler.

Last edited:

Related to Differentiate e^x and Trig Functions

1. What is the general rule for differentiating exponential functions?

The general rule for differentiating exponential functions, including e^x, is to multiply the function by the natural logarithm of the base, and then simplify.

2. How do you differentiate e^x?

To differentiate e^x, simply multiply the function by ln(e) or simply 1, since ln(e) = 1. This results in the derivative being equal to the original function, e^x.

3. What is the derivative of sin(x)?

The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x). This can be remembered using the mnemonic device "SOH-CAH-TOA," where the "C" stands for cosine, the reciprocal of sine.

4. How do you differentiate cosine functions?

To differentiate cosine functions, such as cos(x), you must first remember that the derivative of sine is cosine. Therefore, the derivative of cos(x) is equal to -sin(x).

5. Can you use the power rule to differentiate trigonometric functions?

No, the power rule cannot be used to differentiate trigonometric functions. This is because the power rule is used for functions with a variable raised to a constant power, while trigonometric functions have variables raised to variable powers.