Differential Geometry - Finding Flat Coordinates

In summary, the problem is asking for the local flat space of the Poincare half disk metric, which can be solved using the geodesic equation.
ozone

Homework Statement

Hello, I posted a similar question in the physics section but no one was able to help, I am first going to include a link to the older problem where I was attempting to find the ,(Finding the local flat space of the Poincare half disk metric), and explain what is different this time~~

I still haven't figured out how to answer the previous problem and that is probably why I am struggling with the new one, but here is the statement for my new problem:

In an earlier problem you were instructed to find locally flat coordinates, and after hte first step, with the metric already in the form [itex] g_{\mu\nu} = \delta_{\mu\nu} + A_{\mu\nu,\lambda} x^{\lambda} + ... [/itex] we claimed that by using the transformation [itex] x^{\mu} = x'^{\mu} + L_{\nu\lambda}^{\mu}x'^{\nu}x'^{\lambda} + ... [/itex] we could get rid of the linear terms in the metric. Using the transformation property of Christoffel symbols, determine [itex] L^{\mu}_{\nu\lambda}. [/itex] ("Just from the index structure you should probably be able to guess the answer"~~This makes me think the answer is just a Christoffel symbol, but I get nothing close to that!).

Homework Equations

The transformation property of Christoffel symbols is given as

[itex] \Gamma'^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu} = \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial x^\eta} \frac{\partial x^{\omega}}{\partial x'^{\mu}} \frac{\partial x^{\sigma}}{\partial x'^{\nu}} \Gamma^{\eta}_{\omega\sigma} + \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial x^\eta} \frac{\partial^2 x^\eta}{\partial x'^{\mu} \partial x'^{\nu}} [/itex]

Now we defined before [itex] A_{\mu\nu,\lambda} x^{\lambda} = \partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}(0) x^{\lambda} [/itex].. Now I began thinking on my own here and my intuition told me to write out this as a sum of Christoffel symbols, namely [itex] \partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}(0) x^{\lambda} = (\Gamma_{\lambda \nu . \mu} + \Gamma_{\lambda\mu . \nu})x^{\lambda} [/itex]

From here I played around a lot and didn't really get anywhere.. I guess I'd like to know that I'm even going in the right direction and what might be an appropriate next step to take to surmise what L must be.

Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I posted a similar question in the physics section but no one was able to help, I am first going to include a link to the older problem where I was attempting to find the ,(Finding the local flat space of the Poincare half disk metric), and explain what is different this time~~

I still haven't figured out how to answer the previous problem and that is probably why I am struggling with the new one, but here is the statement for my new problem:

In an earlier problem you were instructed to find locally flat coordinates, and after hte first step, with the metric already in the form [itex] g_{\mu\nu} = \delta_{\mu\nu} + A_{\mu\nu,\lambda} x^{\lambda} + ... [/itex] we claimed that by using the transformation [itex] x^{\mu} = x'^{\mu} + L_{\nu\lambda}^{\mu}x'^{\nu}x'^{\lambda} + ... [/itex] we could get rid of the linear terms in the metric. Using the transformation property of Christoffel symbols, determine [itex] L^{\mu}_{\nu\lambda}. [/itex] ("Just from the index structure you should probably be able to guess the answer"~~This makes me think the answer is just a Christoffel symbol, but I get nothing close to that!).

Homework Equations

The transformation property of Christoffel symbols is given as

[itex] \Gamma'^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu} = \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial x^\eta} \frac{\partial x^{\omega}}{\partial x'^{\mu}} \frac{\partial x^{\sigma}}{\partial x'^{\nu}} \Gamma^{\eta}_{\omega\sigma} + \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial x^\eta} \frac{\partial^2 x^\eta}{\partial x'^{\mu} \partial x'^{\nu}} [/itex]

Now we defined before [itex] A_{\mu\nu,\lambda} x^{\lambda} = \partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}(0) x^{\lambda} [/itex].. Now I began thinking on my own here and my intuition told me to write out this as a sum of Christoffel symbols, namely [itex] \partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}(0) x^{\lambda} = (\Gamma_{\lambda \nu . \mu} + \Gamma_{\lambda\mu . \nu})x^{\lambda} [/itex]

From here I played around a lot and didn't really get anywhere.. I guess I'd like to know that I'm even going in the right direction and what might be an appropriate next step to take to surmise what L must be.

I think you are talking about Riemann normal coordinates. And I'm pretty rusty at this stuff so I'm not really sure how the direction you are outlining is going. But that should give you something to research. 'Locally flat' to me means the Christoffel symbols vanish at a point. This is exercise 11.9 in Meissner Thorne and Wheeler. Using the geodesic equation is useful for that. Hope this helps.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for that, I found the notation in that book to be a little bit to dense, but I think I managed to find the solution today. I went through slowly step by step throwing away second order terms and found that
[itex] 2( L_{\sigma,\lambda,\rho} + L_{\rho \lambda , \alpha}) = -A_{\rho\sigma, \lambda} [/itex] using the substitution from then it solves for [itex] L_{\lambda \sigma,\rho} = -\frac{1}{2} \Gamma_{\lambda \sigma,\rho} [/itex] while also redundantly solving [itex] L_{\rho \lambda , \alpha} = -\frac{1}{2} \Gamma_{\rho \lambda , \alpha} [/itex]

Related to Differential Geometry - Finding Flat Coordinates

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using techniques from calculus and linear algebra.

2. What are flat coordinates?

Flat coordinates are a set of coordinates that can be used to describe points on a flat surface, such as a plane or a sphere. They are also known as intrinsic coordinates because they are independent of any particular coordinate system.

3. How are flat coordinates useful in differential geometry?

Flat coordinates are useful in differential geometry because they allow us to simplify calculations and equations involving curved surfaces. They also provide a way to compare and analyze different geometric objects using a common set of coordinates.

4. How do you find flat coordinates?

Finding flat coordinates involves using coordinate transformations and differential geometry techniques to map points on a curved surface to a flat coordinate system. This process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. What are some applications of flat coordinates in differential geometry?

Flat coordinates have many applications in differential geometry, including in the study of surfaces and manifolds, in geometric modeling and computer graphics, and in physics and engineering for solving problems related to curved objects and surfaces.