Differential geometry:2-form computation on a pair of tangent vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding dPsi(v,w) for a given one form and two tangent vectors in R3. The approach involves using the Lie bracket and the formula (A^B)(v,w)p = A(vp)B(wp) -A(wp)B(vp) to rewrite the two form as a wedge of two 1-forms and ultimately finding dPsi(v,w) to be 9.
phymatast

Homework Statement

I am given a one form Psi = zdx -xydy and two vectors v(1,1,-2) and w(-2,1,1) both tangent vectors of R3 at point P(2,-1,0).

I am asked to find dPsi(v,w).

Homework Equations

Lie bracket?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to computer Psi(v) at p but this is a 1-form.
I am not sure how to compute the 2 form though.

I was able to find dPsi:

dPsi = d(z)^dx +d(-xy)^dy (^== wedge product)

= -ydxdy -dxdz

Now I have looked it up in the Internet. The only thing I found was dPsi of two vector fields. But here I just have 2 vectors.
I am a bit lost.

Any hints?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have actually also found this formula on wikipedia:

(A^B)(v,w)p = A(vp)B(wp) -A(wp)B(vp)

So I tried to rewrite my two form as a wedge of two 1-forms:

A = dx
B= -ydy -dz

Finally i applied the formula and I got
A(vp)=1
B(wp)=1
A(wp)=-2
B(vp)=4

And

dPsi(v,w) = (A^B)(v,w) = 9

I am not sure if my work is correct...
I would appreciate a good enlightment..

Related to Differential geometry:2-form computation on a pair of tangent vectors

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are 2-forms in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, 2-forms are mathematical objects that assign a value to each pair of tangent vectors at a point on a surface. They are used to measure the local curvature and orientation of a surface.

3. How do you compute a 2-form on a pair of tangent vectors?

To compute a 2-form on a pair of tangent vectors, you first need to choose a basis for the tangent space at the given point on the surface. Then, you can use the basis to express the 2-form as a linear combination of the basis 2-forms. Finally, you can calculate the coefficients of the linear combination using the given tangent vectors.

4. What is the significance of computing 2-forms in differential geometry?

Computing 2-forms allows us to quantify the curvature and orientation of a surface at a specific point. This information is crucial in understanding the local geometry of a surface and can be used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can 2-forms be computed on any pair of tangent vectors?

No, 2-forms can only be computed on tangent vectors that lie on the same point on the surface. This is because 2-forms are defined as objects that act on pairs of tangent vectors at a specific point on a surface, and the properties of the surface may vary at different points.