Exploring Tangent Planes and Vertical Curvature in Differential Geometry

In summary, for the given surface S, the tangent plane Tp at point p = (-1,2,-2) has the form Tp={(-1,2,-2)+t(1,0-4)+s(0,1,-4)}. A possible basis for this tangent plane is <(1,0,4),(0,1,-4)>. To find a non-zero vector w in Tp with zero vertical curvature at point p, more information about the surface and the concept of vertical curvature is needed.
ParisSpart
Consider the surface S defined as the graph of a function z = 2x ^ 2 - y ^ 2
i) find a basis of the tangent plane Tp surface S at the point p = (-1,2, -2)
ii) find a non-zero vector w in Tp with the property that the vertical curvature at point p in the direction of vector w is zero

for the i) question i found that the tangent plane has this form: Tp={(-1,2,-2)+t(1,0-4)+s(0,1,-4)}
but how i will find a basis of this tangent plane? maybe is <(1,0,4),(0,1,-4)> ?

and for the ii) how i will find this non zero vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the "vertical curvature" at a point?

Related to Exploring Tangent Planes and Vertical Curvature in Differential Geometry

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of curved spaces using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It is used to understand and describe the geometry of objects in the physical world, such as surfaces, curves, and manifolds.

What are some applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the shapes of objects in nature, such as the Earth's surface or the trajectory of a satellite. It also has applications in robotics, where it is used to plan the movement of robots in complex environments.

What is the difference between differential geometry and classical geometry?

The main difference between differential geometry and classical geometry is that differential geometry studies curved spaces, while classical geometry deals with flat or Euclidean spaces. Differential geometry also uses tools and concepts from calculus and linear algebra, while classical geometry relies on axioms and geometric constructions.

What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include curves, surfaces, manifolds, geodesics, and curvature. Curves are one-dimensional objects that can be described using differential equations. Surfaces are two-dimensional objects that can be described using equations or parametric functions. Manifolds are higher-dimensional objects that can be described locally using coordinate systems. Geodesics are the shortest paths between points on a curved surface. Curvature measures how much a space is curved at a given point.

How is differential geometry used in general relativity?

Differential geometry is a fundamental tool in the theory of general relativity, which describes the force of gravity as a curvature of spacetime. By using differential geometry, physicists can understand how massive objects influence the shape of spacetime and how this affects the motion of other objects. Einstein's field equations, which are the mathematical foundation of general relativity, are based on the concepts of differential geometry.