Differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues?

In summary, differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues are mathematical equations that involve both matrices and eigenvalues and are commonly used in various fields to model and analyze dynamic systems. Studying these equations is important as they provide powerful tools for understanding and predicting complex systems. There are several methods for solving such equations and eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be used to simplify the process. Furthermore, these equations have practical applications in various fields, making them a valuable tool for solving real-world problems.
stefan1988

Homework Statement

this is the homework that i have to do
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2783/problemsb.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

im not really sure if this is the right method but i will solve it like if it was a homogeneous equation by setting the right side equal to 0
then one i have that i would solve for roots
once that i would solve for constants and get final equation to be something as y=c1e^x1+c2e^x2

but i don't think that sounds right because I am not really finding rt) and last part professor hasn't really covered how to do this sort of thing with matrices i know how to solve for eigenvalues but i don't know how to get it to that point or how do you go about working out that problem

if only i know what i should be studying for or looking for i would be able to solve it but i been looking everywhere and can't find anything to help me out with it

i appreciate any help =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Based on the information provided in the image, it seems like you have a system of linear differential equations. In order to solve this type of problem, you will need to use methods such as matrix diagonalization or eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

First, you will need to rewrite the system in matrix form, where the coefficients of the dependent variables (y1 and y2) are the entries of the matrix. In this case, the matrix will be a 2x2 matrix.

Next, you will need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this matrix. This can be done by finding the roots of the characteristic equation and solving for the corresponding eigenvectors.

Once you have the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you can use them to write the general solution of the system. This will involve using the exponential function, as you mentioned in your attempt at a solution.

I would recommend reviewing your notes or textbook for more information on how to solve systems of linear differential equations using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues?

What are differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues?

Differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues are a type of mathematical equations that involve both matrices (arrays of numbers) and eigenvalues (special values associated with matrices). These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze systems that change over time.

What is the importance of studying differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues?

Studying differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues is important because these equations provide powerful tools for understanding and analyzing complex systems. They can be used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about how these systems will behave over time. Additionally, these equations have applications in a wide range of fields, from engineering and physics to economics and biology.

What are some common methods for solving differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues?

There are several methods for solving differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using Laplace transforms. These methods may vary in complexity and applicability, so it is important to choose the appropriate method for a specific equation or problem.

How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors relate to differential equations with matrices?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are special values and corresponding vectors that are associated with a square matrix. In the context of differential equations with matrices, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be used to find a solution to the equation. Specifically, the eigenvectors can be used to transform the matrix into a simpler form, making it easier to solve the equation.

Can differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, differential equations with matrices and eigenvalues can be applied to real-world problems in various fields. For example, they can be used to model population growth, analyze electrical circuits, and predict the behavior of mechanical systems. These equations provide a powerful framework for understanding and solving complex problems in the real world.