Differential Equation - Where am I going wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about using Euler's Method to find approximate values of a solution for a given initial value problem at different time points. The formula for Euler's Method is y_n = y_n-1 + h * F(x_n-1, y_n-1), where h is the step size. The person is trying to find y_1 using h = 0.05 but is not getting the correct answer. The other person points out that they are confusing y_1 with y_2 and that y_2 does match the answer sheet.
oneamp

Homework Statement

Using Euler's Method:

a) Find the approximate values of the solution of the given initial value problem at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, and 0.4 using the Euler method with h= 0.1

b) Repeat part (a) with h = 0.05.

I am doing part (b). The function is y' = 0.5 - t + 2y, y(0)=1

Homework Equations

For Euler's Method:
y_n = y_n-1 + h * F(x_n-1, y_n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done it according to the book, using Euler's Method. I am trying to find y_1 but am not coming up with the book answer, for (b).

h = 0.05
so t = 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20 (but not interested in these yet, just want y_1 to be right!)

y_1 = 1 + (0.05) [0.5 - 0 + (2)(1)]
should be 1.26, but I get the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong? :(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the correct formula for y1. I will observe that y2, which is your approximation for y(.1), is in fact 1.26 if you take the next step. You are simply confusing what you're supposed to be comparing to your answer sheet.

Thank you!

Related to Differential Equation - Where am I going wrong?

1. What are differential equations and why are they important?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are important because they are used to model and solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know if I am solving a differential equation correctly?

If you are solving a differential equation, you should always check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to verify your answer.

3. What are common mistakes people make when solving differential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving differential equations include forgetting to use initial or boundary conditions, incorrect algebraic manipulations, and misinterpreting the problem and its solution.

4. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving differential equations?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving differential equations, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed. Additionally, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help me solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many tools and software available to help solve differential equations, such as Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs can handle complex equations and provide step-by-step solutions for a better understanding of the problem.