Differential Equation- Pendulum System

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of a pendulum over time. A pendulum system is described by a second-order differential equation derived using Newton's second law of motion. Solving the differential equation allows for prediction of the pendulum's behavior, and solutions can be stable or unstable depending on the parameters of the system.
Kamekui

Homework Statement

(a). Find the critical points
(b). Linearize the system and determine local stability
(c). Find a Liapunov Function (Hint - Use total energy)
(d) Use the Liapunov Function to conclude that the critical points are stable.
(e.) Use the LaSalle theorem to argue that every trajectory has to tend toward one of the critical points.

Homework Equations

x'=y
y'=-y-sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a). Let x',y'=0
x'=0 → x=0

If x=0, then:

y'=0=0-sin(x)→ x=0

So, this implies there are infinite critical points occurring at (nπ,0) where n is an integer.

(b). Let x'=f(x,y), y'=g(x,y), the the Jacobian Matrix is
\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
fx & fy \\
gx & gy
\end{array}
\right]= \left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
-cos(x) & -1
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation}

If n is even, then we get:

\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & -1
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
x' \\
y'
\end{array}
\right]= \left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & -1
\end{array}
\right]*\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
x \\
y
\end{array}
\right]= \left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
y \\
-x-y
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

The determinant yields: λ2+λ+1

→λ=-1/2-+ i(√3)/2

Since the eigenvalues are complex conjugates with negative real part, this implies the system is asymptotically stable locally at (nπ,0) (where n is even).

On the other hand, if n is odd we get: (I didn't do the Jacobian Matrix again because its a simple calc)

λ= -1/2+- (√5)/2

Since the eigenvalues are real and of opposite sign, this implies the critical points (nπ
,0) (where n is odd) are saddle points which means the critical point is locally unstable.

(c). This is where I get confused, finding Liapunov Functions is new to me. I think I'm supposed to assume V is a Liapunov Function of the form V = (1/2)ax2 + (1/2)by2.

So then ∇V= (2ax,2by)

v= ∇V ° (f,g)= axy-by2-by*sin(x)

So now I need to show that v≤kV, for some k<0

I'm lost, please provide any help you can, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
!

I will be happy to assist you in finding a Liapunov Function for this system. The Liapunov Function is a function that is used to analyze the stability of a system. It is defined as a scalar function of the system's state variables that decreases along the trajectories of the system.

In this case, we can use the total energy of the system as the Liapunov Function. The total energy of the system is given by E = (1/2)x'^2 + (1/2)y'^2 + y + cos(x).

We can show that this function decreases along the trajectories of the system by taking its derivative with respect to time:

dE/dt = x'x'' + y'y'' + y' + sin(x)x'

= x'(y' + sin(x)) + y'(y' + sin(x))

= (x')^2 + (y')^2 + y' + sin(x)x'

= (y')^2 + y' + sin(x)x' - (y')^2

= y' + sin(x)x'

= -(y + cos(x))y' + sin(x)x'

= -y'^2

Since y' is negative for all trajectories, this shows that dE/dt is always negative, and therefore the total energy E decreases along the trajectories of the system.

This implies that the critical points are stable, as the total energy decreases and tends towards 0 as time goes on.

Using the LaSalle theorem, we can argue that every trajectory of the system tends towards one of the critical points. This is because the total energy E decreases along the trajectories, and since it tends towards 0, the trajectories must tend towards the critical points where E = 0.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of Liapunov Functions and their use in analyzing the stability of a system. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Differential Equation- Pendulum System

What is a differential equation in the context of a pendulum system?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of a pendulum over time. It takes into account factors such as gravity, the length of the pendulum, and the mass of the pendulum to predict its behavior.

How is a pendulum system described using a differential equation?

A pendulum system is described by a second-order differential equation, meaning it includes both the position and velocity of the pendulum. This equation is typically derived using Newton's second law of motion and takes into account the forces acting on the pendulum.

What is the significance of solving a differential equation for a pendulum system?

Solving the differential equation for a pendulum system allows us to predict the position and velocity of the pendulum at any given time. This is useful for understanding the behavior of pendulums in various situations, such as in clocks or amusement park rides.

What are the different types of solutions to a differential equation for a pendulum system?

The solutions to a differential equation for a pendulum system can be classified as either stable or unstable. A stable solution will result in the pendulum returning to its original position after being displaced, while an unstable solution will cause the pendulum to swing continuously without returning to its starting point.

How do the parameters of a pendulum system affect the differential equation?

The parameters of a pendulum system, such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the initial conditions, all affect the coefficients and constants in the differential equation. Changing these parameters can result in different solutions and behaviors of the pendulum system.