Differential Equation, nonlinear, nonexact

In summary, the conversation discusses various attempts at solving a differential equation and the given hint to transform the equation into a homogeneous one. The method of using v = y/x and integrating factor are mentioned, as well as the need to find h and k in order to make the substitution of x = u+h, y=v+k. The issue of the non-homogeneity of the equation is also addressed.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2y - x + 7}{4x - 3y -18}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using v = y/x and got nothing. Same goes for trying to find an integrating factor to make the equation exact. I am given a hint, Find h and k so that the substitution x = u+h, y=v+k transforms the above to a homogenous differential equation. I'm not sure what the means or how I'm supposed to use that. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
MeMoses said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2y - x + 7}{4x - 3y -18}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using v = y/x and got nothing. Same goes for trying to find an integrating factor to make the equation exact. I am given a hint, Find h and k so that the substitution x = u+h, y=v+k transforms the above to a homogenous differential equation. I'm not sure what the means or how I'm supposed to use that. Thanks for any help.

Do you see why the v = y/x method didn't work? Do you see why the ##\frac{M(x,y)}{N(x,y)}## functions aren't homogeneous? Can you use the given substitution to get rid of the 7 and -18?

Related to Differential Equation, nonlinear, nonexact

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to express a relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables.

What is the difference between linear and nonlinear differential equations?

A linear differential equation is one in which the unknown function and its derivatives appear only in a linear combination. In contrast, a nonlinear differential equation is one in which the unknown function and its derivatives appear in a nonlinear combination.

What is a nonexact differential equation?

A nonexact differential equation is a type of nonlinear differential equation where the integrating factor is not a function of the independent variable. This means that the equation cannot be solved by using the traditional method of separation of variables.

How do you determine if a differential equation is nonlinear?

A differential equation is considered nonlinear if it contains terms that involve the unknown function or its derivatives in a nonlinear way. For example, if the equation contains terms like sin(x) or x^2, it is a nonlinear equation.

What are some common techniques for solving nonlinear differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving nonlinear differential equations include using power series, substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. Another approach is to transform the equation into a linear differential equation through a change of variables.