Differential Equation by Separation of Variables

In summary, the conversation involves solving a differential equation y' + cos(x)y = cos(x). The solution is obtained by isolating y and using the properties of exponents, resulting in y = C/e^(sin(x)) + 1. There is a discussion about the constant C and its compression into a single constant.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation: [itex]y' + cos(x)y = cos(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y' = cos(x)(1 -y)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dy}{1-y} = cos(x) dx[/itex]
[itex]-ln|1-y| = sin(x) + C[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{1-y} = e^{sin(x)} + C[/itex]
[itex]1-y = \frac{1}{e^{sin(x)} + C}[/itex]
[itex]y = \frac{-1}{e^{sin(x)} + C} + 1[/itex]

Have I done this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. e^(sin(x)+C) isn't the same as e^sin(x)+C.

So I know [itex]e^{sin(x) + C} = e^{sin(x)}e^C[/itex]. But since [itex]e^C[/itex] is just a constant, can't I just compress it into the constant C?

TranscendArcu said:
So I know [itex]e^{sin(x) + C} = e^{sin(x)}e^C[/itex]. But since [itex]e^C[/itex] is just a constant, can't I just compress it into the constant C?

Yes, but that makes it C*e^(sin(x)), doesn't it?

so I should write,

[itex]\frac{1}{1-y} = e^{sin(x)}C[/itex]
[itex]1-y = \frac{1}{e^{sin(x)}C}[/itex], and C is totally arbitrary so write,
[itex]y = \frac{C}{e^{sin(x)}} + 1[/itex]

TranscendArcu said:
so I should write,

[itex]\frac{1}{1-y} = e^{sin(x)}C[/itex]
[itex]1-y = \frac{1}{e^{sin(x)}C}[/itex], and C is totally arbitrary so write,
[itex]y = \frac{C}{e^{sin(x)}} + 1[/itex]

I think that works.

Related to Differential Equation by Separation of Variables

1. What is the concept of Separation of Variables in Differential Equations?

The Separation of Variables method is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by separating the variables into two or more equations, each with only one variable. This allows for simpler integration and solution of the equations.

2. How do you solve a Differential Equation by Separation of Variables?

To solve a Differential Equation by Separation of Variables, you first need to rewrite the equation in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y). Then, you can integrate both sides with respect to their respective variables, x and y. This will result in a general solution, which can be further simplified by applying initial conditions.

3. What types of Differential Equations can be solved using Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables can be applied to first-order and second-order ordinary differential equations, as well as some partial differential equations. However, it is not applicable to all types of differential equations, such as those with non-separable terms or those that require numerical methods.

4. What are the advantages of using Separation of Variables in solving Differential Equations?

The Separation of Variables method is a straightforward and systematic approach to solving differential equations. It allows for the use of known integration techniques, making the process more manageable. Additionally, it can be applied to a wide range of equations, making it a versatile method.

5. What are the limitations of using Separation of Variables in solving Differential Equations?

While Separation of Variables is a useful method for solving differential equations, it is not always applicable. It can only be used for equations with separable variables, and some equations may require additional techniques or numerical methods. Additionally, it may not always produce an explicit solution and may require further manipulation or approximation to obtain a final solution.