Differential equation 2nd order

In summary, the conversation is about finding the polynomial solution for parts (a) and (b) using the indicial equation/recurrence relation. The speaker has found coefficients a0, a1, a2, a3... for part b, but is unsure of how to use them to get the solution. They also ask what happens when n=m for part a and what series/formula to plug the coefficients into for part b. The solution can be written as a sum with coefficients a_m multiplied by x^(m+r) and if a_n=0, the infinite sum becomes a polynomial.
gomes.
i managed to get the indicial equation/recurrence relation, but for parts (a) and (b), I am stuck. i got a0,a1,a2,a3... for part b, but how do i get the polynomial solution?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1111111.jpg
    1111111.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
For a), what happens when n = m?

For b), you have found a complete set of an. Where can you plug these into get a solution?

thanks, for (a), when n=m, the recurrence relation becomes 0? what would i do next? sorry I am still stuck

(b)sorry, i think my lecture notes missed out on this, what series/formula do i plug it into?

most appreciated.

You have your solution written as
[tex]\sum_{m= 0}^\infty a_mx^{m+r}[/tex]
That is what you plug your "[itex]a_m[/itex]" into. Notice that each a is a multiple of the one before it so if [itex]a_n= 0[/itex] for any n, all successive coefficients are 0 and your infinite sum becomes a polynomial as the problem says.

Related to Differential equation 2nd order

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is an equation that involves a second derivative of a function. It is often used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and g(x) is a function of x.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a second order differential equation, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using an integrating factor. The method used depends on the specific equation and initial conditions given.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering to model and predict behavior of physical systems. Some common applications include modeling population growth, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing electrical circuits.

What are the initial conditions in a second order differential equation?

The initial conditions in a second order differential equation are the values of the dependent variable and its first derivative at a specific point in the independent variable. These values are often given as part of the problem and are used to find a specific solution to the equation.