Determining the Centroid of a 3D Section

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the shear centroid in a 3D model of a slab. The formula for determining the centroid is e = L^2/(2L+W). This is derived by treating the plane as a line surface in 2D and assigning a value mu = mass/length for all three edges. The location of the centroid is found by taking moments about the short edge and using the definition of a centroid. The confusion in the conversation is resolved when it is understood that the shape is simply of 3 sides folded, and the centroid can be found using the formula for the centroid of that section.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am having a problem understanding a calculation performed as part of a bigger solution in the design of Slabs.

That is, how to determine the centroid of the critical shear section, which consist of 3 planes intersecting to form a 3D model (please see attached picture). For this particular case, there is no fourth shear plane that encloses with the other planes. So, the 3D figure is "open" on one side.

So excluding details of design, I am having trouble understanding how the authors compute the shear centroid which is just the location of the centroid on the top.

Homework Equations

Please see attached picture.
https://imgur.com/a/dxwWD

The author defines 'e' as the location of the centroid of critical shear, and the value of e is:
$$e=\frac{805^2}{2 \cdot 805+610}$$

Can one please explain the above formula? I presume the denominator is the perimeter of the shape, but I cannot figure out what the numerator represents.Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Define the two long parallel legs as length L, and the short connecting legas W. Then the total length is
Ltotal = 2*L + W
Now, calculate moments about the short edge:
Mom = 2 * int(x dx, x = 0 .. L) = 2 * (x^2/2) between 0 and L = 2 * (L^2/2) = L^2
By definition, the centroid is such that
Mom = e * Ltotal or
e = Mom/Ltotal =L^2/(2*L+W)
Then plug in the numbers.

Likes CivilSigma
Te moment calculations make sense, thank you.

But why is the definition Moment = e * Perimeter ? This seems odd to me, can you please explain it further?

Can you please recommend some articles to read , I'm not sure what to Google as searching for centroid calculation gives me the concepts in 2D which I am familiar with.

Re-think this as a center of mass calculation. Assign a value mu = mass/length that is the same for all three sides.
The first step is the calculation of the total mass
Mtotal = mu*(2*L+W)
Now calculate the moment of the mass distribution,
Mom = 2 * int(mu*x dx, x = 0 .. L) = mu*2 * (x^2/2) between 0 and L = mu*2 * (L^2/2) = mu*L^2
Finally, make the CM location calculation by
e = Mom/Mtotal and note that mu is in both numerator and denominator and thus drops out.

Likes CivilSigma
I am trying to follow this, but I have some more questions, if I may:

1. Where does the 2 come from in the integral ? Were the integral bounds -L to L ? If that's the case, can you please clarify the axis location?

2. By assigning mu = mass / length, are we treating the 3D plane as a line surface in 2D. And why is mu the same for all three edges? Is it because the material is uniform, therefore the "density" mu (but mu has units [Mass] / [ Length] not [Length ^3] ) is therefore equal per edge?

3. If we repeat the same calculation but now consider a fourth plane near the free end, then e = 805/2 =402.5. But when I try this using the above method,
e = L^2 / (2L+2W) = 805^2 / (2*805+2*610) = 229 ?

I think maybe it is time for me to let someone else try to explain this to you.

Dr.D said:
I think maybe it is time for me to let someone else try to explain this to you.

Am I really that off on all 3 points?

Please Dr. D, if you can just provide me with a reference to read or to research, I would appreciate it.

I need to figure this out to complete the problem I am working on

I really do not think you need a reference. I think that what is needed is for YOU to THINK about this simple problem. Start with the definition of a centroid and work from there, forgetting all reference to formulae, examples, etc. How would YOU solve this problem? If you don't know the definition of a centroid, look it up (the 'net is your friend).

Dr.D said:
I really do not think you need a reference. I think that what is needed is for YOU to THINK about this simple problem. Start with the definition of a centroid and work from there, forgetting all reference to formulae, examples, etc. How would YOU solve this problem? If you don't know the definition of a centroid, look it up (the 'net is your friend).

Ha! I get it now !
I really needed to think about it :)

What confused me was that I was trying to find the centroid of the plane in 2D that lays on top.

But now I understand that the "shape" we have is simply of 3 sides folded. Then the centroid of that section is:

$$ \bar{y} = \frac{\int ydA}{\int dA}$$

$$\bar{y} = \frac{ 2* \cdot \int_0^L y \cdot depth \cdot dy + 0} {2L \cdot depth + W \cdot depth}$$

2 times the integral since we have two identical side faces
and the third face's moment is 0 because I am taking moments about that axis
Depth factor cancels out to give us the location of the centroid from the short axis as:

$$\bar{y} = \frac{L^2}{2L+W}$$Thank you again Dr.D !

Related to Determining the Centroid of a 3D Section

What is the centroid of a 3D section?

The centroid of a 3D section is the point at which the entire mass of the section is concentrated. It is the geometric center of the shape, and is crucial in determining its stability and balance.

Why is it important to determine the centroid of a 3D section?

Determining the centroid of a 3D section is important for various engineering and scientific applications. It can help in designing structures, predicting the behavior of objects under different loads, and calculating moments of inertia for rotational dynamics.

How is the centroid of a 3D section calculated?

The centroid of a 3D section can be calculated using the formula:
Cx = (1/A) * ∫∫∫ x*dV
Cy = (1/A) * ∫∫∫ y*dV
Cz = (1/A) * ∫∫∫ z*dV
where A is the cross-sectional area, x, y, and z are the coordinates of each point in the section, and dV is the volume element.

Can the centroid of a 3D section be outside of the shape?

Yes, it is possible for the centroid of a 3D section to be outside of the shape. This can occur if the shape is irregular or has holes, and the distribution of mass is not symmetrical. In such cases, the centroid may lie outside the physical boundaries of the shape.

How does the distribution of mass affect the location of the centroid?

The distribution of mass in a 3D section directly affects the location of its centroid. If the mass is evenly distributed, the centroid will be at the geometric center of the shape. However, if the mass is concentrated in one area, the centroid will shift towards that area. This is why the centroid is an important factor to consider in determining the stability and balance of an object.