Moment diagram with triangular load

In summary: This will make them load much faster.In summary, the book says that the equation for the moment from point B to C is -x^3/18 = 46.40.
chickenalfredo

Homework Statement

For the overhanging beam in the figure, A) draw the moment diagram indicating all critical values including the maximum moment (Value and location), and B) write the moment function, M(x), for B-C section in terms of x coordinate as shown in the figure.

Homework Equations

F = ma
M = F*d
(1/3x) <---- (Equation for the slope of the triangular load from B-C I think)
-1/6x^2 <---- (Equation for the slope of the shear load from B-C I think)
-1/18x^3 <---- (Equation for the slope of the moment diagram from B-C I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

Mc = -Ra(10) + (20)(6) + 1/2(6)(2)(1/3(6)) - (2)(4)(2) = 0 therefore, Ra = 11.6 kips
Fy = Ra - 20 - 1/2(6)(2) - 2(4) + Rc = 0 therefore, Rc = 22.4 kips

I'm trying to figure out how to find where the middle cubic function crosses the x-axis and I'm having a really hard time. Could I get a push in the right direction please?
2va176f.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Figure out the reactions at A and C.
Step 2: Construct the shear force diagram for the beam with these reactions.
Step 3: Using the shear force diagram, construct the bending moment diagram.

You are trying to construct the moment diagram by jumping in the middle of the process without completing the basic steps (1 and 2 above) first.

Alrighty thanks for the reply SteamKing, I did as you described and did the shear diagram, and that helped me complete the moment diagram. Now I am having trouble finding where the cubic function crosses the x-axis. I tried using the formula -x^3/18 = 46.4 and solving for x which gives me 9.417. I need an answer of 8.795 and I have no idea at the moment on how to get that.

15p0t95.jpg

chickenalfredo: The book answer, x = 8.7948, is indeed correct. So no problem there.

Your moments at points B and C are correct. Nice work. I do not know why you currently think M2(x) = -(x^3)/18 might be the correct function for the moment from point B to C. I have no idea how you derived it. Using your expression for M2(x), notice M2(4) = -(4^3)/18 = -3.556, which is obviously wrong, because it is not the moment at point B (which is 46.40). Also, using your expression, M2(10) = -(10^3)/18 = -55.56, which is obviously wrong, because it is not the moment at point C (which is -16.00).

Therefore, derive a valid equation for M2(x), the moment from point B to C. It will be more complicated than your above expression, but not too complicated. And then, solving M2(x) by trial and error, iteratively, or numerically, you can solve for x when M2(x) = 0. Try again.

Aside: If there is a clever way to factor the M2(x) expression (which I did not research, but I currently assume there is not), then you alternately could solve M2(x) analytically for x when M2(x) = 0.

By the way, please do not post wide images on a forum. Reduce each image width to 640 pixels wide before posting.

Last edited:

As a scientist, you are correct in your equations for the shear force and moment diagrams. To find where the middle cubic function crosses the x-axis, you can set the equation equal to zero and solve for x. In this case, the equation is -1/18x^3 = 0. This means that x = 0 is one point where the cubic function crosses the x-axis. To find the other points, you can use the quadratic formula on the remaining two terms (-1/6x^2 and -1/3x). This will give you two additional points where the cubic function crosses the x-axis. From there, you can plot these points on your moment diagram to complete your solution. Good luck!

Related to Moment diagram with triangular load

What is a moment diagram with triangular load?

A moment diagram with triangular load is a graphical representation of the bending moment at different points along a beam or structural member. It shows the variation of the bending moment due to a triangular distributed load.

How is a moment diagram with triangular load constructed?

A moment diagram with triangular load is constructed by first determining the reactions at the supports of the beam. Then, the triangular load is divided into smaller rectangular loads and their corresponding bending moments are calculated. These moments are then plotted on a graph to create the moment diagram.

What information can be obtained from a moment diagram with triangular load?

A moment diagram with triangular load can provide information about the maximum bending moment, the location of maximum bending moment, and the shear force on the beam. It can also show the points of zero bending moment and zero shear force.

How does the shape of the triangular load affect the moment diagram?

The shape of the triangular load directly affects the shape of the moment diagram. A steeper triangular load will result in a more curved moment diagram, while a flatter triangular load will result in a more gradual curve. The location of the maximum bending moment will also change depending on the shape of the triangular load.

Are there any limitations to using a moment diagram with triangular load?

Yes, a moment diagram with triangular load assumes that the beam is a linearly elastic material and that the load is constant. It also does not take into account the effects of shear forces or any other external loads on the beam. Additionally, it is only accurate for beams with triangular loads that are symmetrical about the midpoint of the beam.