Analysis of Structures (Method of Sections)

In summary, the conversation is about using the method of sections to determine the force in members BD, CD, and CE of a roof truss with a cutting plane and assumed directions of unknown forces. The person attempted to solve for these forces by assuming a reaction at F and by assuming no reaction at F, but was unable to find any unknown forces. A broken link to a diagram was also mentioned. It was suggested to first solve for the reactions at A and F by summing forces and moments.
timeforplanb

Homework Statement

Using the method of sections, determine the force in members BD, CD, and CE of the roof truss shown in the figure
truss.jpg

(the red line is the cutting plane and the green arrows are my assumed directions of the unknown forces)

Homework Equations

summation of moments=0
summation of horizontal forces=0
summation of vertical forces=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i assumed there's a reaction at F (upward), and since i didn't know its value i tried taking the moments at pt. F, N, O to make that reaction disappear. But so far, it doesn't seem like i'll be getting any unknown force anytime soon. please help! am i wrong with my assumption that there's a reaction at F? and also, i tried assuming that there's no reaction at F but i still can't find any unknown force at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link to your diagram is broken.

SteamKing said:
The link to your diagram is broken.

looks okay to me.

The reactions at A and F should be solved first, by looking at the entire truss and summing forces in x direction = 0 and summing moments about one of the reactions to get the other reaction, etc.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basic principles of the method of sections. This method involves cutting a structure into two parts and analyzing the forces in each part separately. In this case, the red line represents the cutting plane, and the green arrows represent the assumed directions of the unknown forces.

Next, I would carefully examine the given figure and identify all the known and unknown forces acting on the structure. It is important to note that the structure is in equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all forces acting on it must be equal to zero in both the horizontal and vertical directions, and the sum of all moments must also be equal to zero.

Based on this information, I would then apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and moments) to each part of the structure, taking into account the assumed directions of the unknown forces. This would allow me to solve for the unknown forces in members BD, CD, and CE.

It is important to note that the assumption of a reaction at point F may not be necessary, as the structure is in equilibrium without it. However, if the assumption is made, it should be taken into account in the analysis.

In conclusion, the method of sections is a useful tool for analyzing structures and can be applied to solve for unknown forces in a systematic and logical manner. By carefully considering all known and unknown forces and applying the equations of equilibrium, the forces in members BD, CD, and CE can be determined.

Related to Analysis of Structures (Method of Sections)

What is the Method of Sections for analyzing structures?

The Method of Sections is a technique used in structural analysis to determine the internal forces and reactions of a complex structure by analyzing a section of the structure instead of the entire structure. This method is based on the principle of equilibrium and can be used for both statically determinate and indeterminate structures.

When is the Method of Sections most commonly used?

This method is commonly used when a structure has multiple loadings and supports, making it difficult to analyze using other methods. It is also useful for determining the internal forces at specific points in a structure, such as at a joint or support.

How does the Method of Sections work?

The method involves cutting a section through the structure, isolating a portion of the structure, and applying the principles of equilibrium to solve for the unknown internal forces. This is done by setting up equations based on the external loads and reactions, and then solving for the unknown forces using the equations of equilibrium.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Sections?

One of the main advantages of this method is its simplicity, as it only requires solving a few equations to determine the internal forces at a specific point in the structure. It also allows for a more detailed analysis of specific portions of the structure, rather than analyzing the structure as a whole.

What are the limitations of the Method of Sections?

The Method of Sections can only be used for statically determinate or indeterminate structures with a maximum of three unknown forces. It also assumes that the structure is in equilibrium, which may not always be the case. Additionally, this method does not provide information on the deflections or deformations of the structure.