Determining Max/Mins, Critical Points (Conceptual)

In summary: If you know that there aren't any other extrema, then yes; but in general, no---you could simply have another maximum somewhere further along, while x still asymptotically approaches (e.g.) zero.
jegues

Homework Statement

I don't have a particular problem in mind, just trying to recap a method my professor quickly skimmed over for determining whether a point is a max or a min.

I had suggested that we use the second derivative test on our critical to determine whether it is a max or a min and go from there, but he had ranted and raved that he didn't like that method and that will only determine relative max/mins not absolute max/mins.

He drew me a picture like the figure attached. I can't remember exactly what he said but it went something like this, (Maybe if I mix some things up you guys can help me clarify)

You have some curve with endpoint A and D, and two critical points B and C. Now look at the values of those points evaluated for the given function and look at the limits around those points and you should be able to see if it's a max or a min.

Can someone further clarify/explain this for me, it's still kinda confusing. An example would probably help too!

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A.

Attachments

• DMAM.JPG
    DMAM.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the record, the second derivative test is the way to go, good call.
But he is correct that it only tells you if something is a local max or min. To find out if its a global max/min you have to compare with every value of the function (i.e. there is, in general, no easy way to do it).

I think maybe what he was going for, is if you know the values of the function at those four points (the two critical points, and the 2 end points), you can also figure it out (but that only works when you have well defined end points, and you know all of your critical points.
Anyway, out of those 4 points, one (or more) have to be the global max's/min's of the function. If there is one local maximum, and its value is larger than both end points, its a global maximum.

Moral of the story is: if you have a picture of the graph you can pick which one is the global max/min; otherwise use the second derivative test to find local max/mins.

zhermes said:
For the record, the second derivative test is the way to go, good call.
But he is correct that it only tells you if something is a local max or min. To find out if its a global max/min you have to compare with every value of the function (i.e. there is, in general, no easy way to do it).

I think maybe what he was going for, is if you know the values of the function at those four points (the two critical points, and the 2 end points), you can also figure it out (but that only works when you have well defined end points, and you know all of your critical points.
Anyway, out of those 4 points, one (or more) have to be the global max's/min's of the function. If there is one local maximum, and its value is larger than both end points, its a global maximum.

Moral of the story is: if you have a picture of the graph you can pick which one is the global max/min; otherwise use the second derivative test to find local max/mins.

Even if you don't have explicitly defined end points you can just evaluate the limit as x goes to +/- infinity, no?

jegues said:
Even if you don't have explicitly defined end points you can just evaluate the limit as x goes to +/- infinity, no?
If you know that there aren't any other extrema, then yes; but in general, no---you could simply have another maximum somewhere further along, while x still asymptotically approaches (e.g.) zero.

Related to Determining Max/Mins, Critical Points (Conceptual)

1. What is the purpose of determining max/mins and critical points in a mathematical function?

Determining max/mins and critical points allows us to identify the highest and lowest values of a function, as well as points where the function changes direction. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of a function and can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How do you find the max/mins of a function?

To find the max/mins of a function, we can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, we solve for the critical points by finding the values of x where the derivative equals zero. These critical points can then be plugged into the original function to find the corresponding y values.

3. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. This means that the slope of the function at that point is either flat or undefined, indicating a possible max/min or point of inflection.

4. How do you determine if a critical point is a max/min or a point of inflection?

To determine if a critical point is a max/min or a point of inflection, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and we need to use further analysis or graphing to determine the nature of the critical point.

5. Can a function have multiple critical points?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. These points can be local max/mins or points of inflection. It is important to analyze all critical points to fully understand the behavior of a function.