Critical Points, intervals, local max/min help Calculus.

In summary, the conversation is about finding critical points, intervals, and local max/min values in calculus. The person is struggling with understanding how to find these points and is seeking help. The expert advises that to find a critical point, one should set the derivative of the function to zero and solve for x. They also provide a helpful website for further understanding.
needmathhelp!
Critical Points, intervals, local max/min help! Calculus.

1. I need help with a homework problem that I just cannot get right. It asks: Answer the following questions about the functions whos derivative is given below.
f'(x) = (sinx +1)(2cosx +[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] ), 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]2∏

a. what are the critical points of f.
b. on what intervals is f increasing or decreasing?
c. What points, if any, does f assume local max/min values.

I'm extremely confused with how to find critical points and max/mins. Help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

You should at least attempt to solve the problem. f'(x) has be zero at a critical point. Can you think of some values of x that will do that?

Hey,

Okay, so If I set x to equal zero, then, f'(x) equals 0.

Basically I'm having problems with this whole set of problems. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around critical points. So what you're saying is:

To find a critical point:
1. find the derivative of a function
2. figure out what x should be set to, for f'(x) to equal 0.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

needmathhelp! said:
Hey,

Okay, so If I set x to equal zero, then, f'(x) equals 0.
That's not true.
f'(0) = (sin(0) + 1)(2cos(0) +√3) = 1 *(2 + √3) = 2 + √3 ≠ 0.
needmathhelp! said:
Basically I'm having problems with this whole set of problems. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around critical points. So what you're saying is:

To find a critical point:
1. find the derivative of a function
Generally, yes, but in this problem you're given the derivative already.
needmathhelp! said:
2. figure out what x should be set to, for f'(x) to equal 0.
Yes, solve the equation f'(x) = 0 for x.
needmathhelp! said:
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Critical point occurs when first derivative is zero or the derivative doesn't exist but original function exists when evaluated at that point. Its easy to see why this is true for when first derivative is zero it means that instantaneous slope is a horizontal tanget line which could be a local minimum maximum or inflection point since this is place where slope makes a transition from either decreasing to increasing(local minimum or absolute minimum) or from increasing to decreasing(local maximum or absolute maximum).

One hint for you is in order for this function to be zero,then either
sinx + 1 = 0; or 2cosx + (3)^1/2 = 0;

Here is nice site that was good when I was learning about this.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CriticalPoints.aspx

Related to Critical Points, intervals, local max/min help Calculus.

1. What are critical points in calculus?

Critical points in calculus are points on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These points can be local maxima or minima, or points of inflection.

2. How do you find critical points?

To find critical points, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Solve for the variable to find the x-values of the critical points. Then, plug these values into the original function to find the corresponding y-values.

3. What is the significance of local maxima and minima?

Local maxima and minima are important in calculus because they represent the highest and lowest points on a function within a specific interval. These points can help us determine the behavior of a function and make predictions about its graph.

4. How do you determine the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine increasing and decreasing intervals, you need to look at the sign of the derivative. When the derivative is positive, the function is increasing, and when the derivative is negative, the function is decreasing. The intervals where the derivative changes from positive to negative (or vice versa) correspond to local maxima and minima.

5. How can critical points help us with optimization problems?

Critical points can help us with optimization problems by giving us potential solutions to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. By finding the critical points and evaluating the function at these points, we can determine which one gives the desired maximum or minimum value.