Determining a sample size

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sample size
In summary, the investigator should use a sample size of 49.8 in order to avoid exceeding the maximum error of 5.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

An investigator, interested in estimating a population mean, wants to be sure that the length of the 95% confidence interval does not exceed 5. What sample size should she use if σ = 18?

The Attempt at a Solution

the formula I found in my book is n = [(z_(α/2) σ)/E]^2

z_(α/2) = z.025 = 1.96

I am fairly certain if the length of the interval can't exceed 5, then 5 will be the max error so
E = 5
n = [1.96(18)/5]^2 = 49.8

Am I doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

An investigator, interested in estimating a population mean, wants to be sure that the length of the 95% confidence interval does not exceed 5. What sample size should she use if σ = 18?

The Attempt at a Solution

the formula I found in my book is n = [(z_(α/2) σ)/E]^2

z_(α/2) = z.025 = 1.96

I am fairly certain if the length of the interval can't exceed 5, then 5 will be the max error so
E = 5
n = [1.96(18)/5]^2 = 49.8

Am I doing this correctly?

Avoid using canned formulas; rather, work things out from first principles. So ask yourself: if ##X_1, X_2, \ldots, X_n## are iid random variables from the distribution ##N(\mu,\sigma^2)##, what is the distribution of the sample mean
[tex] \bar{X} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n X_i \: ? [/tex]
Now you need to know how large to make ##n## in order to have
[tex] P(-2.5 \leq \bar{X} - \mu \leq 2.5 ) = 0.95, [/tex]
assuming that you know ##\sigma = 18##. At that point you are ready to state with absolute confidence the appropriate test to use. (And no, I will not tell you if you are correct or not!)

since

P(-z_(α/2) ≤ (X-μ)/(σ/sqrt(n)) ≤ z_(α/2)) = .95

P(-z.025 ≤ (X-μ)/(18/sqrt(n)) ≤ z.025) = .95

-1.96 ≤ sqrt(n)(X-μ)/18 ≤ 1.96

-1.96(18)/(X-μ) ≤ sqrt(n) ≤ 1.96(18)/(X-μ)

[-1.96(18)/(X-μ)]^2 ≤ n ≤ [1.96(18)/(X-μ)]^2

n = [1.96(18)/(X-μ)]^2

which is what I got before if E = (X-μ)
I think it does, but I am now not sure if it is equal to 5

Related to Determining a sample size

1. What is sample size and why is it important?

Sample size refers to the number of participants or observations in a study. It is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the results. A larger sample size generally leads to more precise results and reduces the chance of error or bias.

2. How do you determine the appropriate sample size for a study?

The appropriate sample size for a study depends on several factors such as the research question, desired level of confidence, and expected effect size. Generally, a larger sample size is needed for complex research questions, higher levels of confidence, and smaller effect sizes. Statistical calculations and power analysis can help determine the ideal sample size for a study.

3. Is there a standard sample size for all types of studies?

No, there is no one standard sample size for all types of studies. It varies depending on the research question, design, and statistical analysis methods used. Different fields of study may also have different conventions for sample sizes.

4. Can a sample size be too large?

Yes, a sample size can be too large. While a larger sample size can improve the precision of results, it can also be costly and time-consuming. Additionally, if the sample is too large, it may lead to unnecessary data collection and analysis, which can be a waste of resources.

5. How does the sample size affect the generalizability of the results?

The sample size plays a crucial role in the generalizability of the results. A larger sample size allows for a more representative sample, which increases the likelihood of the results being applicable to the larger population. However, a small sample size may limit the generalizability of the results and make it difficult to draw conclusions about the larger population.