How does one find sample size without a given variance?

In summary, the mean pH value of a certain chemical is to be controlled at ##\mu = 5## and deviations from this target value will be detected with high probability by measuring a certain number of samples from each batch. The required sample size in order to ensure a probability of no more than 1% for not detecting a change of one standard deviation is ##n=(z_{\alpha /2}+z_{\beta})^2##, with the value of ##z_{\beta}## determined by the desired level of significance. The relationship between the variance of a sample and the variance of the mean can be expressed as ##Var(\bar X)=\frac{Var(X)}{\sqrt{n}}##.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"The mean pH value of a certain chemical is to be controlled at ##\mu = 5##. Deviation from this target value in either direction is to be detected with high probability. For this purpose it is proposed to measure a ceratin number of samples from each batch and decide that the mean pH is different from 5 if the sample mean differs significantly from 5 at the 10% level of significance."
(b) "What sample size is needed if the probability of not detecting a change of one standard deviation is to be no more than 1%?"

Homework Equations

##H_0: \mu = 5##
##H_1: \mu ≠ 5##

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I'm interpreting this probability as the probability of a type-II error. So ##\beta = 0.01##. I know that the formula for the required sample size in this case would be: ##n=(\frac{\sigma}{E})^2##, but I don't know what ##\sigma## is. For that matter, I don't know what ##E## is supposed to be, either. So I'm kind of stuck, here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between the variance of a sample and the variance of the mean?

The question , as quoted, has a part (b). Is there a part (a)?

mjc123 said:
What is the relationship between the variance of a sample and the variance of the mean?

Let's see... The variance of a sample is: ##s^2=\frac{1}{n-1}∑(\bar X - X_i)^2## and the variance of the mean, was ##Var(\bar X)=\frac{Var(X)}{\sqrt{n}}##? I'll get back to you on the matter of their relationship.

Stephen Tashi said:
Is there a part (a)?

(a) "State the null hypothesis and the alternate hypothesis. What can you infer about the statistic ##\mu##?"
I didn't think it was related to the problem, so I decided to exclude it.

Eclair_de_XII said:
but I don't know what ##\sigma## is.

Instead of thinking about a statistic ("z") with a normal distribution, think about using the statistic with a t-distribution.

So what I'm gathering is to find an ##n## such that ##T=\frac{\mu - \bar x}{s/\sqrt{n}}=t_{n-1,\alpha /2}##.

In any case, though, my instructor told me to use ##-z_{\alpha /2}+\frac{\delta \sqrt{n}}{\sigma}=z_{\beta}##, and by setting ##\delta=\sigma##, I get ##n=(z_{\alpha /2}+z_{\beta})^2##.

Related to How does one find sample size without a given variance?

1. What is sample size and why is it important in research?

Sample size refers to the number of participants or observations included in a study. It is important because it affects the accuracy and precision of the results. A larger sample size generally leads to more reliable and generalizable findings.

2. Can sample size be determined without a given variance?

Yes, sample size can be determined without a given variance. There are various statistical methods and formulas that can be used to calculate the sample size based on factors such as the desired level of confidence, margin of error, and expected effect size.

3. What are some common methods for determining sample size without a given variance?

Some common methods for determining sample size without a given variance include the z-test, t-test, and chi-square test. These methods use different formulas and assumptions to calculate the sample size needed for a given research question.

4. Is it better to have a larger or smaller sample size?

In general, a larger sample size is preferred as it leads to more precise and accurate results. However, the appropriate sample size depends on the research question, study design, and available resources. It is important to balance the benefits of a larger sample size with the practical considerations of time and cost.

5. Can sample size be adjusted during a study?

Yes, sample size can be adjusted during a study if necessary. This may occur if the initial sample size was too small or too large, or if there are unexpected changes in the research question or data. However, it is important to carefully consider the implications of changing the sample size and to clearly document any adjustments made.