Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car

In summary, a car at the Indianapolis 500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area and reaches a speed of 250 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 230 m. When the car is halfway through the turn, the tangential acceleration is 6.68 m/s^2 and the radial acceleration is 0.0290 m/s^2. The formula for radial acceleration is v^2/r or r\omega^2, where \omega is the angular velocity. The car's angular velocity at the halfway mark is 0.302 rad/s.
kblue!1

Homework Statement

A car at the Indianapolis 500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 250 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 230 m.

Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.

r=230m
v1=0 m/s
v2= 250km/h --> 69.44m/s

Homework Equations

a=r [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Vtangent=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

w1= [tex]\frac{v1}{r}[/tex]=0

w2=[tex]\frac{v2}{r}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{69.44m/s}{230m}[/tex]=0.302rad/s

(.302)2= 02 + 2 ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) [tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = .02903 radan/s2

I got this for my TANGENT: (230m)(.02903radan/s2) = 6.68m/s2

and this is my RADIAL:[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 0.0290m/s2

I'm not sure if I did the problem right. My answers seem wrong. Please help me =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kblue!1,

kblue!1 said:

Homework Statement

A car at the Indianapolis 500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 250 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 230 m.

Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.

r=230m
v1=0 m/s
v2= 250km/h --> 69.44m/s

Homework Equations

a=r [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Vtangent=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

w1= [tex]\frac{v1}{r}[/tex]=0

w2=[tex]\frac{v2}{r}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{69.44m/s}{230m}[/tex]=0.302rad/s

(.302)2= 02 + 2 ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) [tex]\alpha[/tex]

The speed of .302rad/s corresponds to when the car has moved through the semicircular path, so I don't think the angle is pi/2 here.

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = .02903 radan/s2

I got this for my TANGENT: (230m)(.02903radan/s2) = 6.68m/s2

and this is my RADIAL:[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 0.0290m/s2

The alpha value is the angular acceleration; the radial acceleration that the question asks for is related to the radius and the angular velocity. What formula does it have?

Thanks for replying alphysicist :)

the formula for radial acceleration is V^2/r

The speed of .302rad/s corresponds to when the car has moved through the semicircular path, so I don't think the angle is pi/2 here.

Is it just pi?

kblue!1 said:
Thanks for replying alphysicist :)

the formula for radial acceleration is V^2/r

Is it just pi?

Yes, it would be pi (since the speed of 0.302 rad/s is after the car has moved through an angle of pi).

The radial acceleration is v^2/r like you have; this is also equivalent to

[tex]
a_r=r\ \omega^2
[/tex]
so you can find either v or [itex]\omega[/itex] at the halfway mark, whichever you prefer.

Thank you for your help!

Related to Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of the tangential velocity of an object. In other words, it is the acceleration that occurs in the direction of the object's motion.

2. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in tangential velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius of the object's circular path.

3. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration that occurs perpendicular to the object's motion, towards the center of its circular path. It is also known as centripetal acceleration.

4. How is radial acceleration related to tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration and tangential acceleration are related through the radius of the object's circular path. As the radius increases, the tangential acceleration decreases and the radial acceleration increases, and vice versa.

5. How can the tangential and radial acceleration of a car be determined?

The tangential and radial acceleration of a car can be determined by measuring the car's tangential velocity and its angular acceleration, as well as the radius of its circular path. These values can then be used in the respective equations to calculate the tangential and radial acceleration.