Calculating Stopping Distance on 10° Slope w/ Forces of Friction

• Thread starter Chapin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the Corvette can brake to a stop from 60 mi/hr (26.82 m/s) in 123 ft (37.49 m) on a flat surface. His stopping distance on a roadway sloping downward 10 degrees is 123-9.59=118.42 ft.
Chapin
A Corvette can brake to a stop from 60 mi/hr (26.82 m/s) in 123 ft (37.49 m) on a flat surface. What is his stopping distance on a roadway sloping downward 10 degrees?

--This question is in our Forces of Friction section, and we can find the acceleration and the coefficient of friction. What equations do we use to get the stopping distance on the 10 deg slope?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Chapin
--This question is in our Forces of Friction section, and we can find the acceleration and the coefficient of friction. What equations do we use to get the stopping distance on the 10 deg slope?
First find the coefficient of friction using the data for a flat surface. Then, for the sloping case, consider all the forces acting on the car when the brakes are applied. Find the net force, and thus the acceleration. Then you can calculate the new stopping distance.

OK, I have the deceleration to be -9.59 m/s^2 and the coeffiecent of friction to be .978 on the flat surface.

I am having a problem finding the net force on the slope because mass is not given.

I guess I need to derive an equation to do this but it is kicking my butt.

Does this look right?
[tex]\sum F_x=mgsin(10)-.978\\\sum F_y=mgcos(10)[/tex]

Last edited:

Originally posted by Chapin
I am having a problem finding the net force on the slope because mass is not given.
Just call it "m" for now; it will drop out.
Does this look right?
[tex]\sum\F_x=mgsin(10)-.978[/tex]
Partly. There are two forces acting on the car along the plane:
- the weight, which is mgsinθ (acting down)
- the friction, which is μN (acting up; where N is the normal force)
The normal force, N, equals mgcosθ so, Ffriction = μ mgcosθ.

Thus, Fnet= mgsinθ - μ mgcosθ = ma

Solve for a.

Thank you

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

1. How is stopping distance on a 10° slope calculated?

Stopping distance on a 10° slope can be calculated by using the equation: Stopping distance = Initial velocity^2 / (2 * (Coefficient of friction * Cos(10°) - Sin(10°))).

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect stopping distance?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It affects stopping distance by determining how much force is needed to overcome the friction and bring an object to a stop.

3. How does the angle of the slope impact the stopping distance?

The angle of the slope, in this case 10°, affects the stopping distance by increasing the force of gravity pulling the object down the slope. This increased force must be overcome by the frictional force to bring the object to a stop, resulting in a longer stopping distance.

4. What are the forces of friction involved in calculating stopping distance on a 10° slope?

The forces of friction involved in calculating stopping distance on a 10° slope are the kinetic friction force and the gravitational force. The kinetic friction force acts against the motion of the object, while the gravitational force pulls the object down the slope.

5. Is there a way to reduce the stopping distance on a 10° slope?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the stopping distance on a 10° slope. One way is to decrease the initial velocity of the object, as this will result in a lower stopping distance according to the equation. Another way is to increase the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on, which will increase the frictional force and decrease the stopping distance. Additionally, using materials with better grip or adding brakes can also help reduce the stopping distance on a slope.