How Is Heat Generated from Friction in Physics Problems?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the rate of heat generation for a metal block being dragged on a rough surface with a constant speed of 5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.4 and the mass of the block as 10 kg. The approach of calculating the time it takes for the block to reach 0 velocity and then using the equation P = KE/t is incorrect, as it assumes equal energy loss in equal intervals of time. The correct expression for power loss is P = F_net * v, where F_net is the net force acting on the block and v is its velocity.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A metal block of mass 10 kg is dragged on a rough horizontal surface with a constant speed of 5 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the road is 0.4, then the rate of generation of heat is. take g=10 m/s^2?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Frictional force=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought, the heat generated is the lost kinetic energy per second (if we stop applying the force), so I calculated the time it takes for the block to reach 0 velocity, the retardation is (0.4 x 100)/10 from v=u+at I got time=5/4 seconds. the rate should be total KE/time but this is incorrect, can someone give an intuitive explanation on how to solve this? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Rate of heat generation is really power. Can you relate power and force and velocity?

kuruman said:
Rate of heat generation is really power. Can you relate power and force and velocity?
Power is Force x velocity. Is this the energy we're constantly providing to keep it moving at 5 m/s?

If you use the pulling force in the expression, it is the power generated by that force. If you use the force of friction, it is the power lost to friction.

kuruman said:
If you use the pulling force in the expression, it is the power generated by that force. If you use the force of friction, it is the power lost to friction.
Ok, I understand this. Why is my approach wrong though?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Ok, I understand this. Why is my approach wrong though?
It is wrong because when you say that P = KE/t, you are assuming that in equal times you are losing equal amounts of energy. That is, you are assuming that from t = 0 to t = 1 s you are losing the same amount of KE as from t = 1 s to t = 2 s. This is not the case when the block loses kinetic energy until it stops. The correct expression for the power loss is ##P=\frac{d(KE)}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \right)=m v \frac{dv}{dt}=mav = F_{net}v.##

kuruman said:
It is wrong because when you say that P = KE/t, you are assuming that in equal times you are losing equal amounts of energy. That is, you are assuming that from t = 0 to t = 1 s you are losing the same amount of KE as from t = 1 s to t = 2 s. This is not the case when the block loses kinetic energy until it stops. The correct expression for the power loss is ##P=\frac{d(KE)}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \right)=m v \frac{dv}{dt}=mav = F_{net}v.##
Ah, ok! Thank you very much

Related to How Is Heat Generated from Friction in Physics Problems?

1. What is heat due to friction?

Heat due to friction is the energy that is generated when two objects rub against each other, resulting in a conversion of mechanical energy into thermal energy.

2. How does friction cause heat?

Friction causes heat by converting the kinetic energy of moving objects into thermal energy. As two objects rub against each other, the molecules in their surfaces interact and create heat due to the frictional force.

3. What are some examples of heat due to friction?

Some common examples of heat due to friction include rubbing your hands together, the brakes on a car creating heat when applied, and the heat generated when you write with a pencil.

4. How does heat due to friction affect the efficiency of machines?

Heat due to friction can decrease the efficiency of machines by converting some of the mechanical energy into heat energy, which is lost to the surroundings. This can also cause wear and tear on the machine's parts, leading to decreased performance over time.

5. Can heat due to friction be beneficial?

Yes, heat due to friction can be beneficial in some cases. For example, it is essential for starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together or for creating frictional heat in a matchbox. It is also useful in industrial processes such as welding and grinding.