Determine m and c if the shaded region has area 4.5 units^2

• Thread starter gex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: First, I tried to simplify by factoring, but I got terrible errors.Second, I tried the Limit Method, and I got this:In summary, Charles was able to solve for m using the Limit Method. Fresh_42 was also able to solve for m using the Limit Method, but with a different approach.
gex

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture 2.JPG

The above is my attempt after playing around with the question for about an hour. I don't seem to know how to eliminate either Δy or b in order to solve for m. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 382
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 754
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 793
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to calculate the point, (x coordinate) where the line ## y=mx+m ## intersects ## y=-x^2+2x+3 ##. Then the integral for the area would be the difference of two definite integrals. One place is (-1,0), but you need to find the other location (in terms of ## m ##).

Likes gex
You have ##y=mx+m## for the straight. Why don't you calculate the right intersection point and work with definite integrals?

Likes gex and Charles Link
Thank you for your responses fresh_42 and Charles. I did what you suggested and came up with this.
Capture 3.JPG

I'm unsure as to how to use this information to make my integrals definite.

Attachments

• Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 772
gex said:
Thank you for your responses fresh_42 and Charles. I did what you suggested and came up with this.View attachment 231992
I'm unsure as to how to use this information to make my integrals definite.
So ## x=-m+3 ##. You integrate from ## x=-1 ## to ## x=-m+3 ##. That should be obvious.

Likes gex
Additional comment: Once you use the limits on the definite integral, the rest is really an exercise in algebra. The result is a 3rd order equation in ## m ## that has one simple root, and two other (complex) roots that are extraneous.

Last edited:
Likes gex
Charles Link said:
the rest is really an exercise in algebra
That is what I'm finding very difficult right now. I've been trying to solve for m myself but can't seem to do it. I used an online calculator and the provided root isn't an integer which leads me to believe I've gone wrong somewhere else in my algebra.

gex said:
That is what I'm finding very difficult right now. I've been trying to solve for m myself but can't seem to do it. I used an online calculator and the provided root isn't an integer which leads me to believe I've gone wrong somewhere else in my algebra.
The algebra is not the easiest. Here's what I got after multiplying both sides by ## -6 ## (originally it was ## -\frac{m^3}{6 }+... ##) : ## \\ ## ## m^3-12m^2+48m-37=0 ##. ## \\ ## See if you can work to that result. ## \\ ## This equation readily factors with one simple root. My guess is that you got something slightly different.

Likes gex
Charles Link said:
Here's what I got after multiplying both sides by −6

Your equation is much cleaner than what I got and yields a root of m=1. Thank you so much for your help Charles, I will keep playing with the algebra in mine until it resembles your equation.

Likes Charles Link
gex said:
That is what I'm finding very difficult right now.
Charles Link said:
##m^3-12m^2+48m-37=0##.
Quite honest? I took me two attempts, too.

Likes gex and Charles Link

Related to Determine m and c if the shaded region has area 4.5 units^2

1. How do you determine m and c for a shaded region with an area of 4.5 units^2?

To determine m and c for a shaded region with an area of 4.5 units^2, you would need to know the equation of the line that defines the boundary of the shaded region. From there, you can use algebraic methods to solve for m and c.

2. What is the significance of m and c in determining the area of a shaded region?

M and c are the slope and y-intercept, respectively, of the line that defines the boundary of the shaded region. These values are necessary for calculating the area of the shaded region using the formula A = 1/2 * m * c.

3. Can you determine m and c if the shaded region is not a simple geometric shape?

Yes, you can still determine m and c even if the shaded region is not a simple geometric shape. You would need to find the equation of the curve that defines the boundary of the shaded region and then use calculus methods to solve for m and c.

4. Is it possible for a shaded region to have multiple values of m and c?

In most cases, a shaded region will have a unique value for m and c. However, if the shaded region is a complex shape, it is possible for there to be multiple values of m and c that satisfy the given area. In this case, there could be multiple equations that define the boundary of the shaded region.

5. How does the value of m and c affect the size of the shaded region?

The value of m and c directly affects the size of the shaded region. A larger value of m will result in a steeper slope, which will result in a larger area. Similarly, a larger value of c will shift the line upward, resulting in a larger area. Changes in both m and c will affect the size of the shaded region in combination with each other.