Determine how many microstates and macrostates (Thermodynamics)

In summary: Macrostates are whatever matters to you in a particular context. For the result of a tennis match, we might only care who won, or we might care what the individual set scores were, etc.
learningastronomy
Homework Statement
A two-state paramagnet has 40 magnetic dipoles. Determine the amount of microstates and macrostates?
Relevant Equations
##\Omega(N,n)=\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}## or ##\omega(N_{\uparrow})=\frac{N!}{N_{\uparrow}!N_{\downarrow}!}##
Since this is a two-state paramagnet where N = 40, therefore the microstate is ##40^2##? But I am not sure how to proceed to count the number of macrostates? Because from what I understand of what a macrostate is, shouldn't there a specific outcome to be stated in order to determine how many macrostate there are? For instance suppose we have 40 coins then the number of microstate (all different states of heads and tails) will be ##40^2## but in order to compute macrostate then you will have to explicitly provide the state it is in, for example determine the amount of macrostate of the 40 coins that only have two heads then you can use $$\Omega(N,n)=\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}$$ $$\therefore\Omega(40,2)=\frac{40!}{2!(40-2)!}=780?$$ And since the question didn't explicitly provide the macrostate then will it just be the general case of $$\Omega(40,n)=\frac{40!}{(40-n)!}?$$

Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
learningastronomy said:
Is my reasoning correct?
I don't think so. Not my area but this might help.

You have 3 coins in a line. How many head-tail patterns are possible? (It's not 3².) What about 40 coins (it's not 40²)?

As for macrostates, I would assume the macrostates are simply (continuing the 40-coin example):
0 heads, 40 tails
1 head, 39 tails
2 heads, 38 tails
etc.

there are 41 macro states total. A macro state is different from each other by its macroscopic properties in this case it would be the total magnetic dipole moment.
learningastronomy said:
Homework Statement:: A two-state paramagnet has 40 magnetic dipoles. Determine the amount of microstates and macrostates?
Relevant Equations:: ##\Omega(N,n)=\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}## or ##\omega(N_{\uparrow})=\frac{N!}{N_{\uparrow}!N_{\downarrow}!}##

Since this is a two-state paramagnet where N = 40, therefore the microstate is ##40^2##? But I am not sure how to proceed to count the number of macrostates? Because from what I understand of what a macrostate is, shouldn't there a specific outcome to be stated in order to determine how many macrostate there are? For instance suppose we have 40 coins then the number of microstate (all different states of heads and tails) will be ##40^2## but in order to compute macrostate then you will have to explicitly provide the state it is in, for example determine the amount of macrostate of the 40 coins that only have two heads then you can use $$\Omega(N,n)=\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}$$ $$\therefore\Omega(40,2)=\frac{40!}{2!(40-2)!}=780?$$ And since the question didn't explicitly provide the macrostate then will it just be the general case of $$\Omega(40,n)=\frac{40!}{(40-n)!}?$$

Is my reasoning correct?

Steve4Physics said:
I don't think so. Not my area but this might help.

You have 3 coins in a line. How many head-tail patterns are possible? (It's not 3².) What about 40 coins (it's not 40²)?

As for macrostates, I would assume the macrostates are simply (continuing the 40-coin example):
0 heads, 40 tails
1 head, 39 tails
2 heads, 38 tails
etc.

Ops, I meant to say ##2^{40}## not ##40^2##, thanks for catching that.

guv said:
there are 41 macro states total. A macro state is different from each other by its macroscopic properties in this case it would be the total magnetic dipole moment.
Hmm can you please elaborate why it is 41 macro states?

learningastronomy said:
Hmm can you please elaborate why it is 41 macro states?
@guv is saying that a macro state is defined by its total dipole moment. How many different possibilities are there for that total?

haruspex said:
@guv is saying that a macro state is defined by its total dipole moment. How many different possibilities are there for that total?
Oh I see, I may need to revisit the definition of macrostate then because I was thinking of a different interpretation of it. Also, the total different possibilities will be 40+1 therefore 41.

Likes guv
learningastronomy said:
Oh I see, I may need to revisit the definition of macrostate then because I was thinking of a different interpretation of it. Also, the total different possibilities will be 40+1 therefore 41.
Macrostates are whatever matters to you in a particular context. For the result of a tennis match, we might only care who won, or we might care what the individual set scores were, etc.

Likes guv and learningastronomy

Related to Determine how many microstates and macrostates (Thermodynamics)

1. What is the difference between microstates and macrostates in thermodynamics?

Microstates refer to the specific arrangements of particles in a system, while macrostates refer to the overall properties of the system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. In other words, microstates describe the individual behavior of particles, while macrostates describe the collective behavior of the system.

2. How do you determine the number of microstates in a system?

The number of microstates in a system can be determined by using the formula W = N!, where N is the number of particles in the system. This formula assumes that all particles are distinguishable and there are no restrictions on their arrangements. If there are restrictions, such as fixed positions or energy levels, then the formula must be modified accordingly.

3. Can the number of microstates and macrostates change in a system?

Yes, the number of microstates and macrostates can change in a system as the system undergoes changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. These changes can result in a different distribution of particles and therefore a different number of microstates. However, the total number of microstates and macrostates in a closed system remains constant.

4. How does entropy relate to the number of microstates in a system?

Entropy is a measure of the number of microstates available to a system. As the number of microstates increases, so does the entropy. This is because a larger number of microstates allows for more possible arrangements of particles, leading to a more disordered and higher entropy state.

5. How can the concept of microstates and macrostates be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of microstates and macrostates is applicable in various fields, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and information theory. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions, phase transitions, and the behavior of gases. It also has applications in computer science, particularly in the development of algorithms and data compression techniques.