Exploring Microstates in an Isolated System of N Atoms with Three Energy States

In summary, the homework statement states that an isolated system of N atoms each of which may exist in three states of energies −e, 0, e has N, E, and n as macrostates. The microstates corresponding to the N=3, E=0, n=1 and N=3, E=0, n=3 macrostates are −, 0, + to denote the state of the atoms. The Attempt at a Solution states that I'm not sure exactly how to write the microstate but I understand what it is. I was thinking along the lines of the statistical weight Omega where: Omega=Omega(N,E,n) and then saying Omega(n) = N!/(n!
teme92

Homework Statement

Consider an isolated (fixed total energy) system of N atoms each of which may exist in three states of energies: −e, 0, e. Let us specify the macrostates of the system by N, E (the total energy), and n (the number of atoms in the zero energy state).

a) Identify explicitly and write out the microstates corresponding to the N = 3, E = 0, n = 1 and N = 3, E = 0, n =3 macrostates (use −, 0, + to denote the state of the atoms).

Homework Equations

E=ne

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure exactly how to write the microstate but I understand what it is. I was thinking along the lines of the statistical weight Omega where:

Omega=Omega(N,E,n)

And then saying Omega(n) = N!/(n!(N-n)!), and then subbing in the N and n values given. But E isn't taken into account here so I'm confused a tad. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean ##E=\Sigma_i n_i e_i##, right ?

But isn't this a much simpler exercise where all you have to do is come up with microstates that satisfy the macrostate properties ?

I suppose you can assume the atoms can be distinguished (as in a lattice), but it doesn't say so in your wording of the exercise. They may well be indistinguishably floating around.

N=3 is already a given, so all you have to do is for each case to think of ways to get E=0 with n=1 and n=3, respectively. In particular the latter seems rather straightforward.

Re ##\Omega##: that gives you the weight of the macrostate. Might coincide with the number of microstates you find ! And that is not really a coincidence: the statistical weight of a macrostate IS the number of microstates that can bring that macrostate about!
In your first case you have N = 3 and n=1, second case gives you ##\Omega=## ...

Hey BvU, thanks for the reply. So are you saying I sub N=3 and n=1 into the formula I previously said of Omega=N!/(n!(N-n)!)?

If so then I get Omega = 3 and Omega = 1 for N=3, n=3

That's right. But the exercise wants you to list all microstates explicitly.
Note that N!/(n!(N-n)!) only tells you in how many ways you can form a group of size n out of a total of N.
So perhaps the number of possible microstates in the first case is a bit more...

Do you now have an idea already on how to specify a microstate ?

No I don't understand what the question wants me to do.

use −, 0, + to denote the state of the atoms
and describe a microstate that has one atom in the zero energy state, whilst the two others cause a total energy of zero.
You might give the atoms names, like B, C, F. Now add +,-,0 to each of them in such a way that n=1 and E=0.

So will there be a B+, B0 and B- as well as a C+,C0, C-, F+,F0,F-?Or is it B+, C0 and F-

There are only three atoms, so: the latter

Now invent a few more that have the same N, n and E ...

I'm going to call them n+, n0 and n- because in a follow on question it asks it in this form. If there are only three atoms, how do invent more? What equation do use to invent them?

You use ##\Sigma_i n_i = N##, ##\Sigma_i n_i E_i = E##, and the n in the macrostate designation (N, n, E) is a given.

Very confusing that you now choose n+, n- and n0. This means you cannot distinguish between the atoms any more.

And here's me thinking you would easily come up with e.g. B0, C+ and F- as a second candidate for the first case!

Perhaps you want to read up a little bit about this in your notes or in the book: The exercise is a very simple 'statistics' workout :
(N, n, E) = (3,1,0) can only be achieved with one atom in each of the three states, right ? So for the + you can pick one of the three, then for the 0 you can pick one of the two remaining and the other goes into the - state. If the atoms are distinguishable, that gives 3*2*1 or 3! = 6 ways to get that macrostate.

However, if the atoms are indistinguishable (which they probably are not in your exercise), you have to divide by the number of ways to line up the three atoms, also 3!=6. Leaves only 1(+), 1(0), 1(-), one single microstate !​

So now what for the second case ?

And - because I spoiled your first case - you might indulge me by listing off all microstates that correspond to the macrostate with N = 4 and E = e for the case of distinguishable atoms...

Likes teme92
Thanks for the help, I handed in the problem set and my questions were answered!

Related to Exploring Microstates in an Isolated System of N Atoms with Three Energy States

1. What is a microstate in thermodynamics?

A microstate in thermodynamics refers to the specific arrangement and distribution of particles in a given system. It is the smallest unit of energy that can be measured and accounts for the individual energy states of each particle within a system.

2. How does the concept of microstates relate to thermodynamic laws?

The concept of microstates is essential in understanding and applying the laws of thermodynamics. It helps explain the behavior and changes in a system at the microscopic level, which can then be used to make predictions about the macroscopic behavior of the system.

3. How are microstates different from macrostates in thermodynamics?

A macrostate in thermodynamics refers to the overall properties of a system that can be measured, such as temperature and pressure. Microstates, on the other hand, refer to the individual energy states of the particles within the system. While macrostates describe the system as a whole, microstates account for the specific details of its composition.

4. Can the number of microstates in a system change?

The number of microstates in a system is constant and does not change unless there is a change in the number or energy of particles within the system. However, the probability of particles occupying different energy states can change, resulting in a different distribution of microstates within the system.

5. How do microstates contribute to the entropy of a system?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. Microstates contribute to entropy by accounting for the possible arrangements of particles within a system. As the number of microstates increases, the entropy of the system also increases, indicating a higher degree of disorder.