Microstate, Macrostate, Probability

• I
  • Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, in a system of only two coins, there are four equally probable microstates. However, the probability of the system having one head and one tail is the highest. Describing the system in terms of its microstates does not correspond to a given macrostate. There are three macrostates, with the microstates corresponding to 1H and 1T being the most probable. Therefore, microstates are always equally probable, but macrostates are not always equally probable. Your understanding is correct.
Pushoam
upload_2017-10-3_16-5-21.png

If I consider a system of only two coins, then there are four microstates, each equally probable.
But the probability that the system will have one head and one tail is the most.
Describing the system by its all possible configurations is describing it in terms of its microstates.
Here, the microstates does't correspond to a given macrostate.
There are three macrostates: 1) 2H 2)1H and 1 T 3) 2T.
The microstates ( each of these is equally probable) corresponding to the macrostate 1H and 1T is maximum i.e.2. Hence, this macrostate is more probable.

Hence, the microstates whether it belong to a given macrostate or not are always equally probable.
But macrostates are not always equally probable.

Is my understanding correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Is my understanding correct?
Yes.

Thank you.

What is a microstate?

A microstate refers to the specific arrangement and energy level of individual particles within a system. It is a detailed description of the system at a particular moment in time.

What is a macrostate?

A macrostate refers to the overall observable properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It is a simplified description of the system that does not account for the individual particles within it.

How is probability related to microstates and macrostates?

Probability is used to describe the likelihood of a specific microstate occurring within a given macrostate. It is a measure of the randomness or disorder of a system.

How does the number of microstates relate to the probability of a macrostate?

The higher the number of microstates that correspond to a particular macrostate, the higher the probability of that macrostate occurring. This is because there are more possible ways for the system to arrange itself into that macrostate.

Can a system transition between macrostates?

Yes, a system can transition from one macrostate to another through changes in energy or external factors. This is known as a macrostate change or phase transition.