Determination of past vs future probability

In summary, physicists debate whether or not the wavefunction collapse can ever happen in reverse - an event which would violate the time-symmetry of quantum mechanics.
Loren Booda
How is estimating the probability that a future event might happen different from estimating the probability that a past event might have happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't taken a full fledged quantum class (that's next year for me),
but I know that if I answer, someone will tell me I'm wrong and thus, answer your question, so I'll conjecture purely for your sake... :blushing:

There's two ways I can think of to look at this. If we look at it theoretically, like say, take a time-dependent schroedinger equation, that it should be exactly the same, just at a different time, t. In this case, you'd have two t's for your limit of integration, t future, and t past.

I think, however, in reality, if an event has already occured, than the probability wave has already collapsed. The event has already occured, so there is no probability attached to it, just a definite.

Unless of course, you haven't observed the event, than it still exists as a probability until you observe it.

Both quantum mechanics (concerning microscopic probability) and general relativity (concerning macroscopic probability) are time symmetric. I would guess that excludes wavefunction collapse. Could wavefunction collapse ever occur in reverse?

Quantum mechanics, as the formalism is normally presented, has two kinds of development. The development of the wavefunction when not observed is smooth ("unitary", preserving probability measures). It is therefore reversable.

The other development is the "collapse of the wavefunction" as a result of observation. This is NOT reversable or unitary. Some people are offended by the existence of this awkwardness, and would seek to eliminate it and have an all-unitary physics. To do this leads to the Everett many-worlds theory.

selfAdjoint said:
Quantum mechanics, as the formalism is normally presented, has two kinds of development. The development of the wavefunction when not observed is smooth ("unitary", preserving probability measures). It is therefore reversable.

The other development is the "collapse of the wavefunction" as a result of observation. This is NOT reversable or unitary. Some people are offended by the existence of this awkwardness, and would seek to eliminate it and have an all-unitary physics. To do this leads to the Everett many-worlds theory.

Have you ever read "In search of Schroedinger's Cat" by Jon Gribbins?

He supports the many-worlds theory. Interesting book.

Could memory and prediction be processes time-reversed relative to each other?

selfAdjoint said:
the many-worlds model is not the only time-symmetric attempt at an interpretation of QM (and not all many-worlds interpretations are necessarily time-symmetric). There are time-symmetric Bohmian models also. Here is just a couple of such papers :

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0210/0210207.pdf#search=%22time%20symmetric%20bohmian%20mechanics%22

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0601095

and from a paper entitled "Arrows of Time in Bohmian Mechanics" by Shelly Goldstein and Roderich Tumulka :
Bohmian mechanics is a theory about point particles moving in space according to a law of motion (an ordinary differential equation) involving a quantum mechanical wave function. It is a consequence of this law of motion that in a typical world governed by Bohmian mechanics, observers would observe for the results of their experiments exactly the frequencies predicted by quantum mechanics. Since the theory is time symmetric, arrows of time are grounded in the specialness of the initial wave function. A more complex situation arises in some recently studied relativistic variants of the law of motion: they imply backwards causation, though only in a very special and limited way that is free of causal paradoxes.

And in a time-symmetric deterministic interpretation, estimating probabilities of future events is essentially the same as estimating probabilities of past events - limited only by our epistemic perspective.

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Determination of past vs future probability

1. What is the difference between past and future probability?

Past probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring based on past data and evidence. Future probability, on the other hand, refers to the likelihood of an event occurring in the future based on projections and predictions.

2. How is past probability determined?

Past probability can be determined by analyzing historical data and trends, conducting experiments and observations, and using statistical methods such as regression analysis.

3. What factors influence future probability?

Future probability is influenced by a variety of factors such as current trends and patterns, technological advancements, social and economic changes, and unforeseen events.

4. Can past probability be used to accurately predict future events?

While past probability can provide insights and inform predictions, it cannot guarantee accuracy in forecasting future events. It is important to consider other factors and use multiple methods to make more reliable predictions.

5. How can the determination of past vs future probability be useful?

Understanding past and future probability can help inform decision-making, identify potential risks and opportunities, and improve planning and strategizing for individuals, businesses, and organizations.