Designing & Pricing a Hydraulic System - Help for College Project

In summary, to design and price a hydraulic system, you will need a 10 kW motor, four 80mm diameter bore and 30mm rod diameter cylinders, a 4/3 directional control valve, a check valve, and a non-return valve. To specify the control valve and piping, you will need to define minimum, normal, and maximum values for flow rate, inlet pressure, and outlet pressure. The type/size of piping will depend on the fluid and flows, with a recommended velocity of 3-8 ft/sec. Additionally, it is recommended to aim for 50% open at normal conditions, less than 80% open for maximum conditions, and more than 20% open for minimum conditions. To get
smear
Hi, I am doing a project in college and i need to get a hydraulic system designed and priced. I have a good understanding of what I required for the sytem, A 10 kw motor, four 80mm diameter bore and 30 mm rod diameter cylinders, a 4/3 directional control valve a check valve and a non return valve. Just wondering if some one could point me in the right direction in relation to what else I would require to define the specification for the control valve and the type/size of piping required and what else may be required.
Also if some could put me in contact with a company that would be able to do up a pricing on it I would greatly appreciate it as I am having difficulty getting on to companies.

Cheers,
Smear!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will need to define your minimum, normal, and maximum values for flow rate, inlet pressure, and outlet pressure to size the Cv for control valves. Pair these values so the control valve is excercised over the entire range. Shoot for about 50% open at normal conditions, less than 80% open for max, and more than 20% open for min.

The type of piping will depend on the fluid and flows. To start, pick pipe sizes to give you between 3 to 8 ft/sec velocity.

Related to Designing & Pricing a Hydraulic System - Help for College Project

1. What factors should be considered when designing a hydraulic system?

When designing a hydraulic system, it is important to consider the following factors:

• Fluid viscosity and flow rate: The type of fluid used and its flow rate can affect the performance and efficiency of the system.
  • Pressure requirements: The system must be able to withstand the required pressure without leaking or failing.
  • Load requirements: The system must be able to handle the weight and force of the load it is intended to lift or move.
  • Environmental factors: The operating environment, such as temperature and humidity, can impact the performance and lifespan of the system.
  • Space limitations: The available space for the system must be taken into account when designing its components and layout.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and capacity for my hydraulic system?

The size and capacity of a hydraulic system are determined by the load requirements and the desired speed and force of operation. Calculations can be done using the load weight, distance to be moved, and desired speed to determine the necessary cylinder bore size and pump flow rate. It is also important to consider safety factors and potential future expansions when determining the size and capacity of the system.

3. What are the main components of a hydraulic system?

The main components of a hydraulic system include a power source (usually an electric motor or engine), a pump, valves, cylinders, and a reservoir. These components work together to generate, control, and distribute the hydraulic fluid to the desired location to perform work.

4. How do I determine the appropriate pricing for my hydraulic system?

The pricing of a hydraulic system will depend on the specific components and materials used, as well as the complexity and size of the system. Researching the cost of individual components and factoring in labor and overhead costs can help determine a reasonable price for the system. It is also important to consider the intended use and market demand when setting the price.

5. What are some common challenges in designing and pricing a hydraulic system?

Some common challenges in designing and pricing a hydraulic system include finding the right balance between performance and cost, ensuring compatibility and efficiency of components, and staying within budget constraints. It is also important to consider any potential maintenance or replacement costs in the future. Additionally, market trends and competition can also impact the pricing of a hydraulic system.