Designing a Scale for Bakery Ingredient Measurement

In summary, designing a scale for weighing ingredients in a bakery involves creating a simple 2-D problem with a plate on a vertical spring. The plate slides into indents on each end and a weight of 22lbs (+or- .25 lbs) is acceptable. If there is not enough ingredients, the plate hits the top and signals that it is not enough. If there is too much ingredients, the plate hits the bottom and signals that it is too much. To determine the ideal spring length and stiffness, the unstretched length of the spring can be set at 4 inches and micro-switches can be used to determine the top and bottom locations for triggering alarms or other actions.
morgan82
I need to design a scale. It is a simple 2-D problem. All you need to know is that it's a plate on a vertical spring. Each end of the plate slides a little ways into an indent. It is a scale for weighing ingredients in a bakery. A weight of 22lbs (+or- .25 lbs) is acceptable. If there isn't enough ingredients, the plate hits the top and electrically signals that it isn't enough. If there is too much ingredients, the plate hits the bottom and signals that it is too much.

How would I go about this? I need to figure out a good spring length and stiffness. So do I say the L (unstretched length) is when the plate touches the top (when F=0)? What about the bottom? I am going to try to say that the unstretched length of the spring is 4 inches. How do I figure out the ideal stiffness and Lo? I know how to calculate it, I just don't understand how to make the +,- work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Once you've determined which spring (stiffness), you could use micro-switches to determine the top and bottom locations. Maybe to sound an alarm or trigger some other action.

Microswitches.jpg

Related to Designing a Scale for Bakery Ingredient Measurement

1. How do you determine the appropriate unit of measurement for a bakery ingredient scale?

The appropriate unit of measurement for a bakery ingredient scale is typically determined by the standard unit used in the baking industry, which is either ounces or grams. However, some scales may also have the option to measure in pounds or kilograms. The unit of measurement should be consistent with the units used in your recipes.

2. What is the most important factor to consider when choosing a scale for measuring bakery ingredients?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a scale for measuring bakery ingredients is accuracy. The scale should be calibrated and provide precise measurements to ensure that your baked goods turn out as intended. It is also important to consider the weight capacity of the scale and the size of the platform, as well as any additional features such as a tare function or automatic shut-off.

3. Can a digital scale be used for measuring bakery ingredients?

Yes, a digital scale can be used for measuring bakery ingredients. In fact, digital scales are often preferred over traditional mechanical scales because they provide more precise measurements and may offer additional features such as a tare function, which allows you to reset the scale to zero after adding each ingredient.

4. What is the difference between a kitchen scale and a bakery ingredient scale?

A kitchen scale is a general purpose scale used for measuring various ingredients in cooking and baking, while a bakery ingredient scale is specifically designed for measuring ingredients used in bakery recipes. Bakery ingredient scales may have a higher weight capacity and more precise measurements, as well as features such as a larger platform to accommodate larger quantities of ingredients.

5. How do you maintain and care for a bakery ingredient scale?

To maintain and care for a bakery ingredient scale, it is important to keep it clean and free of any spills or debris. Use a damp cloth to wipe down the platform and make sure to dry it thoroughly. Avoid placing heavy objects on the scale when it is not in use, and store it in a dry and cool place. It is also recommended to periodically calibrate the scale to ensure accuracy.