Building a fold down door with torsion gas spring calculation

In summary, Robert is building a fold-down cabinet for his grandson's slot car track and needs tension or torsion gas springs. He is unsure of what he needs and is looking for help. He has tried several gas spring manufacturers but has not found any help. He has found springs for less than $10 a pair at auto wreckers. He plans to mount the springs where needed and use a pulley to engage the latch.
Robert C
I'm building a wall mounted cabinet, with a fold down door. It is for my grandson's slot car track, in his bedroom. The door is 3x7 feet and weighs approximately 40 lbs. It is mounted length wise, on the wall. I think I need tension or torsion gas springs, which pull instead of push. I don't want the door to drop down and hit him and I want it to be easy to open and close. The door will open 90 degrees and rest on the floor. I can mount the two springs, wherever needed, as I have no set point which needs to used. I have tried several gas spring manufacturers and they have not been of any help. I just need to use a stock spring and mount it accordingly, but I don't know how to figure what I need. Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you,
Robert

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would go to an auto wreckers and salvage some gas springs from hatchbacks. I've paid less than $10 a pair in the past.
Make sure you get ones with suitable mounts so you can screw then straight on.

The only problem with them is they hold the weight up and in this case it's opposite. The weight comes when closing or lifting the door. I need a torsion gas spring, that pulls.

I know. That's a better solution IMO.
The door is held closed with a latch, release the latch and the door glides open (to rest on the floor). Force is needed to close the door, lean on the door while engaging a latch 3 feet from the floor.
Just like a hatch back really.

The alternative seems less user friendly:
Force the door open (down to the ground) then latch it down - Presumably you don't want a hole or something on the floor for the latch, how will you engage the latch and also keeping the door down? with a latch at ground level while standing on the door? Sounds awkward.

How about a pulley and 40lb weight?

Likes Tom.G

Related to Building a fold down door with torsion gas spring calculation

1. How do I determine the size and number of torsion gas springs needed for my fold down door?

The size and number of torsion gas springs needed for a fold down door depend on the weight and dimensions of the door, as well as the desired opening and closing force. To calculate this, you will need to know the weight and dimensions of the door, the angle at which it will open, and the desired opening and closing forces. Using these measurements, you can consult a torsion gas spring manufacturer's charts or use an online calculator to determine the appropriate size and number of springs needed.

2. What are the benefits of using torsion gas springs for a fold down door?

Torsion gas springs offer several benefits for fold down doors, including smooth and controlled opening and closing, reduced stress on the door and its hinges, and the ability to hold the door in any position. They also require minimal maintenance and have a long lifespan compared to other types of springs.

3. How do I install a fold down door with torsion gas springs?

The installation process for a fold down door with torsion gas springs will vary depending on the specific door and spring system being used. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation to ensure proper functioning and safety. In general, the springs will need to be mounted to the door and the frame, and the tension may need to be adjusted using a winding tool.

4. Can torsion gas springs be used for heavy or oversized fold down doors?

Yes, torsion gas springs can be used for heavy or oversized fold down doors. However, it is important to ensure that the springs are properly sized and installed to handle the weight and dimensions of the door. It may also be necessary to use multiple springs for larger and heavier doors.

5. How do I maintain and replace torsion gas springs for a fold down door?

Torsion gas springs generally require minimal maintenance, but it is important to periodically check for wear and tear and replace them if necessary. If a spring needs to be replaced, it is important to use the same type and size of spring to ensure proper functioning. It is also recommended to consult a professional for spring replacement to ensure safety and proper installation.