Designing a new room, any software?

In summary, a conversation is had about finding software to design and plan home renovations, specifically for bathrooms and garages. The options discussed include AutoCAD, Microsoft Visio, and other 3D room design programs. Some individuals prefer traditional methods such as pencil and paper, while others see the benefits of using technology for a more accurate and efficient design process. Misspellings are also mentioned. Various websites are suggested as resources for finding the right home design software.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Is there any software out there where you can basically design a new bathroom or living room or whatever? And i mean like, drywall, tiling, plumbing, cabinetry and all that kinda stuff and not a bed or a curtains or whatever. Is there any software that can do this rather well? Sounds like some sort of CAD system.. but me and my father are going to basically re-do the entire garage outside and itd be cool to do it all on a computer first :D

Computer science news on Phys.org
um, AUTOCAD(layout), photoshop(txtr), 3DsMax/MAYA(3D with texture)

oh jesus christ... was hopen there was just a program specifically designed for this where you could get a rough estimate of what to do. I don't want to mix colors and do reflections and insane stuff like that :D. I just want something to make sure we don't shove a pipe into a cabinet or have the door opening up and smashing into something...

3Dsmax/maya without texturing =] but shouldn't autocad suffice your need?

I have no idea haha. I don't want to be stuck doing a little garage with shelves for 4 weeks though :-/. We just remodeled the bathroom... or well... have been remodeling for the last 6 months... and each contractor had a different idea of what tub would fit and i figured a CAD program would put an end to any kind of problems like that if we use it when me and my father remodel the garage. Would also be helpful to figure out how many materials we need and all

Microsoft Visio has room layout templates with a bunch of pre-defined house/object shapes. It's good for other things too.

What happened to good old pencil and paper? You'd spend more time making pretty 3d representations than it would to do your remodel.

Do a hand drawing of what you want and use Excel or the like to keep track of what materials you need.

I know of the exact program you need. It's also free. It was a kinda 3D room designer, but much simpler to use than AutoCAD, its purpose was just so that you could lay out a room on the computer, it was great. Not very technical, but easy to use, and had databases of loads of appliances, types of furniture, kitchen and bathroom fittings, carpets, tiles, and Dulux paint colours!

Give me 18 hours to try and remember what it was called.

brewnog said:
I know of the exact program you need. It's also free. It was a kinda 3D room designer, but much simpler to use than AutoCAD, its purpose was just so that you could lay out a room on the computer, it was great. Not very technical, but easy to use, and had databases of loads of appliances, types of furniture, kitchen and bathroom fittings, carpets, tiles, and Dulux paint colours!

Give me 18 hours to try and remember what it was called.

what is it?!jkljf;lajdlfjalsd hehehe

FredGarvin said:
What happened to good old pencil and paper? You'd spend more time making pretty 3d representations than it would to do your remodel.

Do a hand drawing of what you want and use Excel or the like to keep track of what materials you need.

Yah but you get a better picture of what you need in a 3d software program plus you could change colors and easily move things. Plus you can see exactly how many tiles you need or how things will fit and things that you can't see on pencil and paper.

Pengwuino said:
Yah but you get a better picture of what you need in a 3d software program plus you could change colors and easily move things. Plus you can see exactly how many tiles you need or how things will fit and things that you can't see on pencil and paper.
How so? You need a pretty 3D cartoon to show you where your toilet goes or to calculate the area of a floor? If you really want a 3D package to do this, knock yourself out. I guarantee you you'll waste more time trying to use it than just sticking in and doing it. BTW, people have been using pencil and paper for millenia and it seems to have been OK to this point. Perhaps it's an X-box generation type of thing.

FredGarvin said:
How so? You need a pretty 3D cartoon to show you where your toilet goes or to calculate the area of a floor? If you really want a 3D package to do this, knock yourself out. I guarantee you you'll waste more time trying to use it than just sticking in and doing it. BTW, people have been using pencil and paper for millenia and it seems to have been OK to this point. Perhaps it's an X-box generation type of thing.

Well to be honest, its just the novelty of having it on a computer and being all in 3D... and I'm a bad drawer :(. Boxes are way beyond what my hand can generate. And come on! The coolness factor! I have nothing to do so why not build a garage in 3D!

Plus! We do actually need it seeing as what happened on this bathroom remodeling job. It was total paper and pencil deal and they screwed up the tub. On paper, the tub and toilet are next to each other without much space problems. Its installed right now and its just soooooooooooo crampt and when the plumber came before it was put in, he said he wasn't even sure if he could put it in in the first place.

Dear god, there were so many misspellings in that post that even I need to think about using spellcheck this time...

I wonder if there any programs where you can specifically count out and put tiles in one at a time. Something of that detail and not just pre-templated stuff and "painted" tiling.

Related to Designing a new room, any software?

1. How do I choose the right software for designing a new room?

There are several factors to consider when choosing software for designing a new room. First, consider your budget and whether you want to invest in a professional software or use a free online tool. Next, think about the type of room you are designing and whether the software has specific features for that. Also, look for software with a user-friendly interface and good customer reviews.

2. Can I use any software to design a room or are there specific ones for interior design?

While there are general design software that can be used for room design, it is recommended to use software specifically designed for interior design. These software often have features and tools that are tailored for this purpose, making the design process more efficient and accurate.

3. Are there any free software options for designing a new room?

Yes, there are several free software options for designing a new room. Some popular ones include SketchUp, HomeByMe, and Planner 5D. However, keep in mind that free software may have limited features and may not be as advanced as paid software.

4. What are some important features to look for in a room design software?

Some important features to look for in a room design software include 3D modeling capabilities, a large library of furniture and decor items, easy customization options, and the ability to create accurate floor plans. It is also helpful to have features for lighting and color schemes.

5. Can I see a realistic representation of my designed room before making any changes?

Yes, most room design software offer a preview or render feature that allows you to see a realistic representation of your designed room. This can help you make any necessary changes and get a better idea of how the final room will look before implementing it in real life.