Deriving the Vector Calculus Equation for Magnetic Force

In summary, the equation describes the force on a particle by a magnetic field. H is the "H-field" and M is the magnetization. If H is a vector, then the scalar form of the equation is equal to (dMx/dx + dMy/dy + dMz/dz) * <Hx,Hy,Hz>.
hjel0743
I was reading a paper and came across this equation:

Fmagnetic0(M<dot>)H

Is this the correct expansion below? (I'm not too experienced with vectors operating on the gradient operator)

Fmagnetic0[(MxH/∂x)i + (MyH/∂y)j + (MzH/∂z)k]

My reasoning partially comes from this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=157380

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey hjel0743 and welcome to the forums.

Just for clarification, is M a constant vector and H some kind of function?

Thanks for the reply chiro! I imagine I'll be here a few more times before my thesis is done... M is a function of H actually, and H is a function of the vector r, representing the radius.

The equation as initially written, describes the force on a particle by a magnetic field. H is the "H-field" and M is the magnetization.

[tex]
({\bf M} \cdot \nabla) {\bf H}
= ( ({\bf M} \cdot \nabla H_x) \widehat{i}
+ ({\bf M} \cdot \nabla H_y) \widehat{j}
+ ({\bf M} \cdot \nabla H_z) \widehat{k}).[/tex]

Where, for example,
[tex]
{\bf M} \cdot \nabla H_x = M_x \frac{\partial H_x}{\partial x}
+ M_y \frac{\partial H_x}{\partial y}
+ M_z \frac{\partial H_x}{\partial z}.
[/tex]

Assuming your M is a function of x,y,z (in vector form you have M = (Mx,My,Mz) where Mx,My,Mz map R^3 to R for each component) then

del(M) = (d/dx . Mx + d/dy . My + d/dz . Mz)H (I'm assuming everything is Cartesian not a general tensor)
= (dMx/dx + dMy/dy + dMz/dz) H.

Now this will give you the product of two functions but if H is a vector (like M with each component have some transformation from R^3 -> R) then this means you use the scalar form of a*v = (a*v1,a*v2,a*v3) which means if H = (Hx,Hy,Hz) then the whole thing is equal to

(dMx/dx + dMy/dy + dMz/dz) * <Hx,Hy,Hz>

Now M . grad(Hx) = <Mx,My,Mz> . <dHx/dx,dHx/dy,dHx/dz>
= Mx*dHx/dx + My.dHx/dy + Mz.dHx/dz

So they both look the same when they are expanded out, so I imagine you are right in your assertion. (It's been a while since I've done this kind of thing myself).

If I've made a mistake please let me know!

Related to Deriving the Vector Calculus Equation for Magnetic Force

What is vector calculus derivation?

Vector calculus derivation is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It involves the use of vector operations such as gradient, divergence, and curl to analyze and solve problems related to vector fields.

What are the basic principles of vector calculus derivation?

The basic principles of vector calculus derivation include the use of vector operations, such as gradient, divergence, and curl, to analyze and manipulate vector fields. It also involves the application of the chain rule and product rule to differentiate vector functions.

What are the applications of vector calculus derivation?

Vector calculus derivation has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and optimization problems. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and solving problems related to vector fields in three-dimensional space.

What are the common techniques used in vector calculus derivation?

The common techniques used in vector calculus derivation include the use of vector operations, such as gradient, divergence, and curl, to manipulate and simplify vector functions. It also involves the application of the chain rule and product rule to differentiate vector functions. Additionally, the use of vector identities and theorems, such as the divergence theorem and Stokes' theorem, are also important techniques in vector calculus derivation.

What are some helpful resources for learning vector calculus derivation?

There are many helpful resources available for learning vector calculus derivation. Some recommended resources include textbooks such as "Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba, online tutorials and video lectures, and practice problems with solutions. It is also beneficial to consult with a mathematics teacher or tutor for personalized guidance and support.