Deriving some Laplace transforms

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laplace transform of two different functions and using integration by parts to solve them. The person asking for help is struggling with the integration by parts and is asking for clarification and assistance. The expert advises doing the integration by parts again and collecting the integral of interest on one side.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transform of each of the following functions:

2. f(t)=eatcos(bt)

3. f(t)=tn, were n is a positive integer

Homework Equations

As you well know, taking the Laplace of f(t) means ∫f(t)e-stdt from 0 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

These problems are tripping me up, since integration by parts goes on forever.

∫eatcos(bt)e-stdt =
∫et(a-s)cos(bt)dt =

I suppose I should call et(a-s) "dv" (?)
----> v = t(a-s)/(a-s)
----> u = cos(bt)
----> du = -bsin(bt) dt

Still, I don't see where this gets me. Help, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the integration by parts again, and then collect the integral you are interested in on one side.

This is like the following simpler integral:

[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx [/tex]
[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx = -e^x \cos x - \int -e^x \cos x dx [/tex] (one IBP)
[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx = -e^x \cos x + e^x \sin x - \int e^x \sin x dx [/tex] (second IBP)
[tex] 2 \int e^x \sin x dx = e^x \sin x - e^x \cos x [/tex] (collect like terms)
etc...

hgfalling said:
Do the integration by parts again, and then collect the integral you are interested in on one side.

This is like the following simpler integral:

[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx [/tex]
[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx = -e^x \cos x - \int -e^x \cos x dx [/tex] (one IBP)
[tex] \int e^x \sin x dx = -e^x \cos x + e^x \sin x - \int e^x \sin x dx [/tex] (second IBP)
[tex] 2 \int e^x \sin x dx = e^x \sin x - e^x \cos x [/tex] (collect like terms)
etc...

In the case of this particular problem, what integral am I interested in?

Well, you want

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{t(a-s)} \cos (bt) dt [/tex]

which is related, but with, you know, constants and things.

Related to Deriving some Laplace transforms

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How do you derive a Laplace transform?

To derive a Laplace transform, you need to follow a specific set of rules and formulas, such as the linearity property, shifting property, and differentiation property. These rules involve manipulating the function and its integral to obtain the transformed function in the frequency domain.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms allow for the simplification of complex differential equations, making it easier to solve and analyze them. They also provide a more versatile representation of the function in the frequency domain, which can be used to analyze system behavior and stability.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to functions with finite integrals, and they may not work for functions with discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not always exist for a transformed function.

5. How are Laplace transforms used in real-world applications?

Laplace transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. They are commonly used to analyze the stability of systems, design electronic filters, and solve differential equations in physics and engineering. They are also used in finance and economics to analyze time series data and predict future trends.