Deriving Lagrange's Trig Identity: Real Part of Complex # in Exp Form

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on how to determine the real part of a complex number in exponential form and specifically asks about multiplying by e^-i(x/2). They also mention using Euler's formula and using the substitution z=e^ix. They apologize for not providing enough information and ask for assistance in understanding the concept.
Lchan1

Homework Statement

I did the question with help, but did not understand why did we multiply e^-i(x/2)
How do I know what to multiply for getting the real part of a complex number in exponential form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Lchan1 said:

Homework Statement

I did the question with help, but did not understand why did we multiply e^-i(x/2)
How do I know what to multiply for getting the real part of a complex number in exponential form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to give us more information. I don't know what problem you're trying to solve.

Show us what you're doing and where you're getting stuck.

Related to Deriving Lagrange's Trig Identity: Real Part of Complex # in Exp Form

1. What is the purpose of deriving Lagrange's trig identity?

The purpose of deriving Lagrange's trig identity is to simplify complex numbers expressed in exponential form and to express them in terms of their real and imaginary parts. This identity is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and Fourier analysis.

2. How is Lagrange's trig identity derived?

Lagrange's trig identity is derived by using the Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x). By substituting a complex number in exponential form into this formula, we can separate the real and imaginary parts and obtain the trig identity.

3. What is the formula for the real part of a complex number in exponential form?

The formula for the real part of a complex number in exponential form is Re(z) = (e^(ix) + e^(-ix)) / 2, where z is a complex number and x is the angle of the complex number in polar form.

4. How is the real part of a complex number in exponential form useful?

The real part of a complex number in exponential form is useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving problems in mathematics and engineering. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the behavior of complex numbers in the complex plane.

5. Are there other trig identities related to Lagrange's trig identity?

Yes, there are other trig identities that are related to Lagrange's trig identity, such as the imaginary part of a complex number in exponential form and the De Moivre's theorem. These identities are all connected and can be derived from each other.