Getting from complex domain to real domain

jaydnul
Hi!

I am ok with understanding Euler's formula and how its proven. It is basic mathematic operations that are made possible by the characteristics of i, cos, sin, and exp.

What still makes me uncomfortable is the jump we make at the very beginning or end of calculations, basically Acosx <==> Ae^(jx). The explanations are usually the "real" part of the exponential, and Euler's formula is used to help with this.

But for my complete understanding, taking the real part of something just ins't a "normal" mathematical operation if that makes sense (it is invented for dealing with complex numbers). Is there any other explaination for the transistion we make Acosx <==> Ae^(jx) and why we can do that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jaydnul said:
Hi!

I am ok with understanding Euler's formula and how its proven. It is basic mathematic operations that are made possible by the characteristics of i, cos, sin, and exp.

What still makes me uncomfortable is the jump we make at the very beginning or end of calculations, basically Acosx <==> Ae^(jx). The explanations are usually the "real" part of the exponential, and Euler's formula is used to help with this.

But for my complete understanding, taking the real part of something just ins't a "normal" mathematical operation if that makes sense (it is invented for dealing with complex numbers). Is there any other explaination for the transistion we make Acosx <==> Ae^(jx) and why we can do that?
It is linear algebra. The vectors ##\vec{1}## and ##\vec{\mathrm{i}}## are linear independent over the real numbers. That means that any real expression
$$
\alpha \vec{1} + \beta \vec{\mathrm{i}} = \alpha' \vec{1} +\beta' \vec{\mathrm{i}}
$$
implies
$$
(\alpha-\alpha')\cdot \vec{1} + (\beta-\beta')\cdot \vec{\mathrm{i}}=\vec{0}
$$
and therefore ##\alpha=\alpha' ## and ##\beta=\beta'## by linear independence.

Another picture of looking at the complex numbers is ##\mathbb{C}=\mathbb{R}[T]/\langle T^2-1 \rangle## which is a quotient ring of the polynomials over the real numbers in one variable ##T.## A complex number is thus a polynomial ##\alpha+\beta\cdot \vec{\mathrm{i}} =\alpha +\beta \cdot T## where we identify ##T^2## with ##-1.## Since ##0 \neq T \neq 1,## we can conclude from ##\alpha+\beta\cdot \vec{\mathrm{i}}=\alpha+\beta\cdot T=0## that ##\alpha = \beta=0.##

jaydnul said:
Hi!

Good. That is the hard part.
jaydnul said:

But for my complete understanding, taking the real part of something just ins't a "normal" mathematical operation if that makes sense (it is invented for dealing with complex numbers).
It is very normal. If you have a point in two dimensional space, ##(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}## X ##\mathbb{R}## ,it is completely normal to look at its ##x## value. So looking at the real part of ##Ae^{(jx)} = (A\cos(x), A\sin(x))## is normal.
(The question of how and why it was invented is a historical question. It is now standard mathematics, which is all that matters for this discussion.)

1. How do you convert a complex number to a real number?

To convert a complex number to a real number, you simply take the real part of the complex number. The real part is the part of the complex number that does not involve the imaginary unit, i. For example, if you have the complex number 3 + 4i, the real part is 3.

2. What is the significance of converting from a complex domain to a real domain?

Converting from a complex domain to a real domain allows us to simplify calculations and better understand the behavior of mathematical functions. Real numbers are easier to work with and visualize compared to complex numbers, making it useful in various mathematical applications.

3. Can a complex number ever be completely converted to a real number?

No, a complex number cannot be completely converted to a real number because a complex number always consists of a real part and an imaginary part. The real part represents the real component of the number, while the imaginary part involves the imaginary unit, i.

4. What techniques can be used to simplify a complex domain to a real domain?

One common technique to simplify a complex domain to a real domain is taking the real part of the complex number. Another approach is to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on complex numbers to simplify them into real numbers.

5. In what situations would converting from a complex domain to a real domain be necessary?

Converting from a complex domain to a real domain is necessary in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics when dealing with real-world applications that involve calculations with simpler, real numbers. It is also useful for visualizing data and understanding the behavior of functions in a more straightforward manner.