Deriving Final Mass, Velocity, Radius of Merged Isothermal Sphere

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
So the final radius is also dependent on the initial masses, as well as their separation distance and final velocity.In summary, the final mass is half the sum of the initial masses, the final velocity depends on the initial velocities, masses, and separation distance, and the final radius depends on the initial masses, separation distance, and final velocity. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
leonne

Homework Statement

Now imagine the two spheres fall toward each other and merge, and that after
some time, they equilibrate and end up as a single isothermal sphere. Use con-
servation of mass, energy, and the virial theorem, to derive the following (and
explain your results in words):
the final mass Mf (in terms of the initial mass Mi),
ii. the fi nal circular velocity vf (in terms of vi, Ri, and d), and
iii. the final radius Rf (in terms of Ri and d)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the final mass would just be Mii+Mi2=Mf right?
would vf=vi Ri/Di or something? distance units would cancel and so you would be left with cm/s
would the final radius Rf= Ri2/d?

But idk , I don't see how virial theorem would be used in this problem any hints thxs

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your interesting question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you derive the final mass, velocity, and radius of the merged spheres using conservation of mass, energy, and the virial theorem.

Let's start with the conservation of mass. The total mass of the two spheres before merging is Mi1 + Mi2, and after merging it becomes the final mass Mf. Therefore, we can write the equation:

Mi1 + Mi2 = Mf

Next, let's consider conservation of energy. Before merging, the two spheres have kinetic energy from their motion and potential energy due to their separation. After merging, they will have some amount of kinetic energy and potential energy as a single isothermal sphere. However, since the spheres are merging, we can assume that their potential energy is being converted into kinetic energy. Therefore, we can write the equation:

1/2(Mi1v1i^2 + Mi2v2i^2) = 1/2(Mfvf^2) + G(Mi1 + Mi2)/d

where v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the two spheres, vf is the final velocity of the merged sphere, and d is the initial separation between the two spheres.

Now, let's use the virial theorem. The virial theorem states that for a system in equilibrium, the average kinetic energy is equal to half the potential energy. Since the final merged sphere is in equilibrium, we can write:

1/2(Mfvf^2) = 1/2(GMf^2/Rf)

where Rf is the final radius of the merged sphere.

Combining the equations and solving for Mf, we get:

Mf = (Mi1 + Mi2)/2

This means that the final mass is half the sum of the initial masses, which makes sense since the two spheres are merging into one.

To find the final velocity, we can substitute the equation for Mf into our energy conservation equation and solve for vf:

vf = √(G(Mi1 + Mi2)/d)

So the final velocity is dependent on the initial velocities of the two spheres, as well as their masses and separation distance.

For the final radius, we can substitute the equation for Mf into the virial theorem equation and solve for Rf:

Rf = (G(Mi1 + Mi2)d^2)/(

Related to Deriving Final Mass, Velocity, Radius of Merged Isothermal Sphere

1. What is the process of deriving final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere?

The process of deriving the final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere involves analyzing the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy equations. This involves calculating the initial mass, velocity, and radius of the individual spheres, as well as the total mass and radius of the merged sphere. By equating the initial and final values of these variables, the final values can be derived.

2. What assumptions are made when deriving the final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere?

Some common assumptions made when deriving the final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere include assuming that the spheres have equal densities and temperatures, neglecting the effects of external forces, and assuming that the merging process is isothermal (maintains a constant temperature).

3. Can the final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere be accurately predicted?

While the equations used to derive the final values of mass, velocity, and radius are based on theoretical assumptions, they can provide a good estimate of the final values. However, uncertainties and discrepancies may arise due to variations in the initial conditions and the presence of external forces.

4. How is the final mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere related to the initial values?

The final values of mass, velocity, and radius of a merged isothermal sphere are directly related to the initial values of these variables. The conservation equations show that the total mass and momentum of the merged sphere is equal to the sum of the initial masses and momenta of the individual spheres. Additionally, the final radius is determined by the initial radii and the mass distribution of the individual spheres.

5. What are some applications of understanding the final mass, velocity, and radius of merged isothermal spheres?

Understanding the final mass, velocity, and radius of merged isothermal spheres can have applications in astrophysics, specifically in studying the formation and evolution of galaxies and galaxy clusters. It can also be useful in studying the dynamics of merging stars and protoplanets. Additionally, this concept can be applied in other fields such as fluid dynamics and materials science.