[mechanics] radius of a sphere with critical mass

In summary, r3 is the radius of a sphere of material with a critical mass of 60 kg that has a volume of 3076.9 cm^3.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Here is the question:

"In the fall of 2002, a group of scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory determined that the critical mass of neptunium-237 is about 60 kg. The critical mass of a fissionable material is the minimum amount that must be brought together to start a chain reaction. This element has a density of 19.5 g/cm3 .

What would be the radius of a sphere of this material that has a critical mass?

r = ______ cm ? "

So my answer should be in CM, and I should express my answer using 2 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Here, equations I used were

V = m * d

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done so far:

Ok you have

Mass = 60 kg

D = 19.5g/cm3

I converted 60 kg to 60,000 g because D is in terms of g/cm3 and my final answer is suppose to be cm, so I think this helps simplify it.

anyways, I have the equation:

V = m * d

so

(4/3)pi*r3 = 60,000 g * 19.5g/cm3

Okay, I'm unsure what happens when I multiply 60,000 g by 19.5g/cm3

Does my result become 1170000 g2/cm3? or does it remain 1170000 g/cm3 ?

So from what I understand after this, I'm going to get

r3 = (3 (result of the above multiplication) ) / 4pi

and then take that result and 1/3 it to get my final answer.

I'm mostly stuck here on the multiplying 60,000 g by 19.5g/cm3 part.

I have the feeling that I understand how to do it but I actually can't do it :/!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Here is the question:

"In the fall of 2002, a group of scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory determined that the critical mass of neptunium-237 is about 60 kg. The critical mass of a fissionable material is the minimum amount that must be brought together to start a chain reaction. This element has a density of 19.5 g/cm3 .

What would be the radius of a sphere of this material that has a critical mass?

r = ______ cm ? "

So my answer should be in CM, and I should express my answer using 2 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Here, equations I used were

V = m * d

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done so far:

Ok you have

Mass = 60 kg

D = 19.5g/cm3

I converted 60 kg to 60,000 g because D is in terms of g/cm3 and my final answer is suppose to be cm, so I think this helps simplify it.

anyways, I have the equation:

V = m * d

so

(4/3)pi*r3 = 60,000 g * 19.5g/cm3

Okay, I'm unsure what happens when I multiply 60,000 g by 19.5g/cm3[\QUOTE]

Does my result become 1170000 g2/cm3? or does it remain 1170000 g/cm3 ?

Really? It should be very clear that multiplying grams × grams / cm3 ≠ cm3

Figure out how to get only cm3 [Hint: multiplication isn't the only thing you can do here.]

SteamKing said:
Really? It should be very clear that multiplying grams × grams / cm3 ≠ cm3

Figure out how to get only cm3 [Hint: multiplication isn't the only thing you can do here.]
Sorry, what I meant was, when multiplying grams by grams/cm^3, is my answer going to be grams^2/cm^3 or is it going to stay grams/cm^3?

Also, do you mean dividing?

If so, I tried the following:

60,000 g x cm^3 / 19.5 g to cancel out the g's, resulting with 3076.923077 cm^3.

After that I got ( (3076.923077 cm^3.) x 3 ) / 4pi = 7249.829201 cm^3so now I take (7249.829201 cm^3)^1/3 = 19.35423112 .

see, now I'm not sure what happened to the cm^3. when I did ^1/3, did that get rid of the ^3 and only make it cm? Or does it stay cm^3?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Sorry, what I meant was, when multiplying grams by grams/cm^3, is my answer going to be grams^2/cm^3 or is it going to stay grams/cm^3?

Also, do you mean dividing?

If so, I tried the following:

60,000 g x cm^3 / 19.5 g to cancel out the g's, resulting with 3076.923077 cm^3.

After that I got ( (3076.923077 cm^3.) x 3 ) / 4pi = 7249.829201 cm^3so now I take (7249.829201 cm^3)^1/3 = 19.35423112 .

see, now I'm not sure what happened to the cm^3. when I did ^1/3, did that get rid of the ^3 and only make it cm? Or does it stay cm^3?

Remember your algebra!

Density is defined as ##ρ = \frac{M}{V}##. Obviously, if you are looking for V, then you must manipulate this equation algebraically to obtain ##V = \frac{M}{ρ}##.
The units are manipulated in a similar fashion: ##\frac{g}{cm^3}=g\div cm^3##, so doing a similar manipulation to the one above, ##cm^3=\frac{g}{\frac{g}{cm^3}}##, which can be simplified by inverting the units in the denominator and multiplying by the numerator, ##\frac{g}{\frac{g}{cm^3}} = g × \frac{cm^3}{g}=cm^3##.

You get a volume of ##V = 3076.9\: cm^3 = \frac{4πr^3}{3}##.

When you solve for r3, the units are still cm3. By taking the cube root of r3 in cm3, you are left with the radius in cm.

SteamKing said:
Remember your algebra!

Density is defined as ##ρ = \frac{M}{V}##. Obviously, if you are looking for V, then you must manipulate this equation algebraically to obtain ##V = \frac{M}{ρ}##.
The units are manipulated in a similar fashion: ##\frac{g}{cm^3}=g\div cm^3##, so doing a similar manipulation to the one above, ##cm^3=\frac{g}{\frac{g}{cm^3}}##, which can be simplified by inverting the units in the denominator and multiplying by the numerator, ##\frac{g}{\frac{g}{cm^3}} = g × \frac{cm^3}{g}=cm^3##.

You get a volume of ##V = 3076.9\: cm^3 = \frac{4πr^3}{3}##.

When you solve for r3, the units are still cm3. By taking the cube root of r3 in cm3, you are left with the radius in cm.

Thank you so much :)! Just as you wrote this I finally got the answer! I appreciate it so much!

Related to [mechanics] radius of a sphere with critical mass

1. What is the radius of a sphere with critical mass?

The radius of a sphere with critical mass is the distance from the center of the sphere to its surface, at which point the gravitational force due to the mass of the sphere is equal to the centrifugal force caused by its rotation. This is also known as the Schwarzschild radius.

2. How is the radius of a sphere with critical mass calculated?

The radius of a sphere with critical mass can be calculated using the formula r = 2GM/c^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sphere, and c is the speed of light. This formula is derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. What is the significance of the radius of a sphere with critical mass?

The radius of a sphere with critical mass is significant because it marks the point at which the gravitational force becomes strong enough to prevent anything, including light, from escaping. This is known as the event horizon, and it is a defining characteristic of black holes.

4. Can the radius of a sphere with critical mass vary?

Yes, the radius of a sphere with critical mass can vary depending on the mass of the object. The more massive an object is, the larger its critical mass and therefore, the larger its radius of critical mass will be.

5. How does the radius of a sphere with critical mass affect its gravitational pull?

The radius of a sphere with critical mass directly affects its gravitational pull. The larger the radius, the stronger the gravitational pull will be. This is because the radius is directly proportional to the mass of the object, and the greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational force will be.