Moment of Inertia of mud thrown on door

In summary, a solid wood door with dimensions of 1m by 2m and a mass of 40kg is struck at its center by a handful of sticky mud with a mass of 0.5kg. The original and final moment of inertia for the door can be calculated using the equation I=Cmr^2. The final speed of the door can be found by using the conservation of angular momentum equation, mivi x ri = mfvf x rf, and dividing the final velocity by the width of the door. To calculate the moment of inertia, you can either look it up or derive it from first principles. It is important to note that the distance from the hinge to the point where the mud hits the door should
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A solid wood door 1m wide and 2m high is hinged along one side and has a total mass of 40kg. Initially open and at rest, the door is struck at its center by a handful of sticky mud with mass .5kg.
What is the original and final moment of inertia for the door?
What is the final speed of the door if the mud hits the center of the door at 12 m/s?

Homework Equations

I=Cmr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really quite lost here, I have no idea how to figure out the constant for the door... am i supposed to have this memorized? Then mud is applied in the center of the door, which would add mass at a point r/2 if you take r to be the width of the door,, but I'm having problems putting it all together.

For solving for the final angular velocity of the door i used conservation of angular momentum

mivi x ri = mfvf x rf

mi = mass of mud
vi = velocity of mud initially
ri = .5 (the place where the mud hits the door)

mf = mass of mud + door combined
vf = final velocity of the door at it's furthest point from the hinges
rf = 1 (width of the door)
i solved this equation for vf and then divided it by the radius (1) to find angular speed. My answer was wrong ;-/ anyone know what went wrong in my brain?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to look up the MOI for a rectangle or, if all else fails, calculate it from first principles.

I have no idea how to figure out the constant for the door... am i supposed to have this memorized?
The door is equivalent to a very simple shape, where it is useful to know the moment of inertia - and if you do not, you should be able to derive it via integration.

mivi x ri = mfvf x rf
[...]
rf = 1 (width of the door)
That would require the whole door and mud to be 1m away from the hinge - they are not. You can use the moment of inertia here, as soon as you calculated it.

Related to Moment of Inertia of mud thrown on door

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation, also known as rotational inertia. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation I=mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the moment of inertia of mud thrown on a door?

The moment of inertia of mud thrown on a door would depend on the mass and distribution of the mud on the door. The more spread out the mud is, the higher the moment of inertia will be. However, the exact value would need to be calculated using the equation mentioned above.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of the mud on the door?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of the mud on the door. The higher the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the mud. This means that the mud will continue to rotate at a steady rate unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is the moment of inertia of mud on a door useful in scientific research?

The moment of inertia of mud on a door can be useful in understanding the principles of rotational motion and how different factors, such as mass and distribution, can affect an object's rotational behavior. It can also be used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing machines and analyzing the stability of structures.