Derivatives of trigonometric functions

In summary, when trying to solve for constants A and B in a given function, it is important to understand the properties of the functions involved. In this case, the functions sin(x) and cos(x) are orthogonal, meaning that they are perpendicular to each other. This allows us to use the property that for two orthogonal functions f(x) and g(x), an equation of the form \alpha f(x)+\beta g(x)=\gamma f(x)+\delta g(x) can only be satisfied if \alpha=\gamma and \beta=\delta. Applying this property to the given equation, we can determine that -3A-B=1 and -3B+A=0, which can then be solved to find the values of
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Find the constants A and B such that the function y = Asinx + Bcosx satisfies the differential equation y'' + y' - 2y = sinx

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: y = Asin x + Bcosx

y' = Acosx - Bsinx

y'' = - Asin x - Bcosx

y'' + y' - 2y = sin x
- Asinx - Bcosx + Acosx - Bsinx - 2Asinx + 2Bcosx = sinx
- 3Asinx + Bcosx + Acosx - Bsinx = sinx...

I don't know if my working out is correct, but I couldn't figure out what to do from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there.

Now factorize the sines and the cosines: (-3A-B)sinx + (-3B+A)cosx=sinx.

For this to be true we must have -3A-B=1 and -3B+A=0.

I think you'll be able to take over from here, right?

edit: Oops, thanks radou. Equations have been corrected

Last edited:
"+ 2Bcosx " sold be "- 2Bcosx".

Mr.Miyagi said:
For this to be true we must have -3A-B=1 and -3B+A=0.

Howcome you spilt the equations into 2? and why does the one equal 1 and the other equal 0? Aren't they suppose to represent the rads of the sin and cos graph?

You have (-3A-B)sinx + (-3B+A)cosx = 1sinx + 0cosx.

This equation has to hold for all x. So the only way this will work is if you have -3A-B = 1 and -3B+A=0.

Oh ok that sort of makes sense. What rule is this by the way? Cause I have never heard it when doing trig before

Edit: Nevermind I understand now :) Thanks

Last edited:
TsAmE said:
Oh ok that sort of makes sense. What rule is this by the way? Cause I have never heard it when doing trig before

Whenever you have two orthogonal functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex], and an equation of the form [itex]\alpha f(x)+\beta g(x)=\gamma f(x)+\delta g(x)[/itex], the only way it can be satisfied for all [itex]x[/itex] is if [itex]\alpha=\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\beta=\delta[/itex].This can be proved using the definition of orthogonality. Sin(x) and Cos(x) are orthogonal functions.

If you are unfamiliar with orthogonality of functions, you can also prove that [itex]\alpha\sin x+\beta\cos x=0[/itex] can only hold for all [itex]x[/itex] if [itex]\alpha=0[/itex] and [itex]\beta=0[/itex] by differentiating the equation, and solving the system of two equations (the original and the differentiated one), for your two unknowns.

Related to Derivatives of trigonometric functions

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

2. What is the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function at any given point. It can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the original function at that point.

3. How do you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

To find the derivative of a trigonometric function, you can use the standard derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You also need to know the derivatives of the basic trigonometric functions.

4. What are the derivatives of the basic trigonometric functions?

The derivatives of the basic trigonometric functions are:

• Sine: cos(x)
  • Cosine: -sin(x)
  • Tangent: sec^2(x)
  • Cotangent: -csc^2(x)
  • Secant: sec(x)tan(x)
  • Cosecant: -csc(x)cot(x)

5. Why are derivatives of trigonometric functions important?

Derivatives of trigonometric functions are important because they have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in physics to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other rates of change. They are also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to model and analyze various processes.