Understanding a Math Equation Step by Step

In summary, the conversation involves a student trying to understand a complex equation from their textbook. The equation is shown in its original form and then corrected for a typo. The student then asks for help understanding the equation and provides their own attempt at simplifying it. The expert advises the student to combine terms within the radical and rewrite it as one fraction. They also point out a mistake in the student's attempt at simplification.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

my book shows:

(-1/(1-((b+acosx)/(a+bcosx))^2)^1/2) * ((a+bcosx)(-asinx)-(b+acosx)(-bsinx))/(a+bcosx)^2

=
(a^2+b^2cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2cos^2(x))^(-1/2)
((a^2-b^2)sinx/(| a+bcosx |))

I'm having a hard time understanding how they did this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please proof read your equation. I see a variable c on the left side and a variable A on the right that is not matched on the other side. What are they?

Likes Electron Spin
Edited. Thanks for the heads up, "c" was a typo

quicksilver123 said:

Homework Statement

my book shows:

(-1/(1-((b+acosx)/(a+bcosx))^2)^1/2) * ((a+bcosx)(-asinx)-(b+acosx)(-bsinx))/(a+bcosx)^2

=
(a^2+b^2cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2cos^2(x))^(-1/2)
((a^2-b^2)sinx/(| a+bcosx |))

I'm having a hard time understanding how they did this.
It's really hard to read your equation. Do you know how to use LaTeX? There's a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
But in the meantime, is this what you meant?

##\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}} \frac{(a+b\cos(x))(-a\sin(x))-(b+a\cos(x))(-b\sin(x))}{(a+b\cos(x))^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2\cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2\cos^2(x)}} \frac{(a^2-b^2)\sin(x)}{|a+b\cos(x)|} ##

Admittedly that's quite tricky to format, brackets don't enclose the fraction and that type of thing, someone might have suggestions on how to improve on it.

Thanks!

Actually this is what I meant. I copy and pasted and edited your latex script.
Mod note: Changed from inline tex (## tags)to standalone tex ($$ tags) to make everything larger and easier to read.
$$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}} \frac{(a+b\cos(x))(-a\sin(x))-(b+a\cos(x))(-b\sin(x))}{(a+b\cos(x))^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2\cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2\cos(x)^2}} \frac{(a^2-b^2)sin(x)}{|a+bcos(x)|} $$Actually we have the same equation despite my edits haha. It just wasn't displaying correctly with my phone being vertical.

Anyway, that's what I need help with.

Last edited by a moderator:
quicksilver123 said:
Thanks!

Actually this is what I meant. I copy and pasted and edited your latex script.

##\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}} \frac{(a+b\cos(x))(-a\sin(x))-(b+a\cos(x))(-b\sin(x))}{(a+b\cos(x))^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2\cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2\cos(x)^2}} \frac{(a^2-b^2)sin(x)}{|a+bcos(x)|} ##Actually we have the same equation despite my edits haha. It just wasn't displaying correctly with my phone being vertical.

Anyway, that's what I need help with.
I would start with the left side to see if I end up with what's on the right. For starters, combine the two terms in the radical, and rewrite that whole factor in the form ##\frac{\sqrt{\text{something}}}{\sqrt{\text{something else}}}##.
Next expand the products in the numerator of the 2nd factor -- some of the terms will probably drop out.

$$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}\cdot \frac{-a^{2}sinx+b^{2}sinx}{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}$$That's where I am. Obviously I can factor the a^2 and b^2 and the sin on the right numerator but uh... stuck.

Oh, and this handy little tool for latex previews: https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

quicksilver123 said:
$$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}\cdot \frac{-a^{2}sinx+b^{2}sinx}{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}$$That's where I am. Obviously I can factor the a^2 and b^2 and the sin on the right numerator but uh... stuck.

Oh, and this handy little tool for latex previews: https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php
There'a a preview button here on the lower right.

How did you get this?
$$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}$$
You don't show the intermediate steps, but it looks like you did something like this: ##\sqrt{1 + x} = \sqrt{1} +\sqrt{x}##, which is incorrect.

In my previous post I said this:
For starters, combine the two terms in the radical, and rewrite that whole factor in the form ##\frac{\sqrt{\text{something}}}{\sqrt{\text{something else}}}##.
In case I wasn't clear, I was talking about the radical in the denominator of the first factor on the left side.

That's just a typo. The entire fraction is meant to be under a square root.

quicksilver123 said:
That's just a typo. The entire fraction is meant to be under a square root.
Your answer here doesn't make sense to me.
Here's part of the left side, from post #5
$$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}}$$

In post #7 you show this (again only showing part of the left side):
$$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}$$

Is this what you really meant to write?
$$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{\text{stuff}}{\text{other stuff}}}}$$

If so, what I said before was this -- inside that radical combine the 1 and the fraction into a single fraction. Don't keep it as a difference of two terms.

Likes quicksilver123
Yes that is what I wanted to write. Everything under the square root all at once.

IMG_2104.JPG
Any help?

Last edited:
quicksilver123 said:
Any help?
What do you call this?
If so, what I said before was this -- inside that radical combine the 1 and the fraction into a single fraction. Don't keep it as a difference of two terms.

See the attached photo for my issue.

quicksilver123 said:
The fourth line up from the bottom looks OK, although there's no good reason to expand the ##(a + b\cos(x))^2## part in the denominator inside the radical.

You have a mistake in the third line up from the bottom. I didn't look at the other factor on the left side.

Also, you have something like this: $$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{\frac{xxx}{yyy}}}$$
This part could be simplified to this:
$$-\sqrt{\frac{yyy}{xxx}}$$

quicksilver123 said:
You don't need to expand so much stuff .

Consider: ##\ (a+b\cos(x))^2-(b+a\cos(x))^2 \ ##

That's a difference of squares thus: ##\ (a+b\cos(x)-(b+a\cos(x))\,)(a+b\cos(x)+b+a\cos(x)) \ ## .

With some rearranging: ##\ ((a-b) - (a-b)\cos(x))((a+b)+(a+b)\cos(x)) \ ##

##((a-b) (1-\cos(x))((a+b)(1+\cos(x)) \ ## and so forth.

SammyS said:
You don't need to expand so much stuff .

Consider: ##\ (a+b\cos(x))^2-(b+a\cos(x))^2 \ ##

That's a difference of squares thus: ##\ (a+b\cos(x)-(b+a\cos(x))\,)(a+b\cos(x)+b+a\cos(x)) \ ## .

With some rearranging: ##\ ((a-b) - (a-b)\cos(x))((a+b)+(a+b)\cos(x)) \ ##

##((a-b) (1-\cos(x))((a+b)(1+\cos(x)) \ ## and so forth.

In this case one gets a much simpler final answer by NOT using ##A^2-B^2 = (A-B)(A+B)##, but, instead, just expanding out ##A^2 =(a+b\,\cos x)^2## and ##B^2 = (b+a\,\cos x)^2## and cancelling some things.

Related to Understanding a Math Equation Step by Step

1. What is the purpose of understanding a math equation step by step?

Understanding a math equation step by step allows us to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. This helps us to better comprehend the logic and reasoning behind the equation, and ultimately solve it correctly.

2. How do I start understanding a math equation step by step?

The first step is to identify the key components of the equation, such as the variables, constants, and operations. Then, we can follow the given steps or rules to solve the equation, making sure to perform each step accurately and in the correct order.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when understanding a math equation step by step?

Some common mistakes include skipping steps, not following the correct order of operations, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double check each step and the final answer to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I check my understanding of a math equation step by step?

A good way to check your understanding is by using practice problems or working through the equation with a tutor or someone who is knowledgeable in the subject. You can also try explaining the steps to someone else to see if you have a solid understanding.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for understanding math equations step by step?

One helpful tip is to use visuals, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the problem. It can also be useful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.