Derivative When Substituting Variables

In summary, the conversation is about a person working through a proof in their differential equations book and getting stuck on a basic calculus derivative. They discuss substituting a function and taking the derivative using the product rule. The expert summarizer explains that the confusion is due to one of the functions being a function of both variables, but ultimately it is a simple application of the product rule.
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm working through a proof in my differential equations book, but I think I'm hung up on a basic calculus derivative.

If we have a function ##f(x,y)## and we substitute ##v=\frac{y}{x}## , rearrange to get ##y=vx##, and then take the derivative, supposedly by the product rule we get $$\frac{dy}{dx}=v+x\frac{dv}{dx}$$
I'm not quite sure how this works since ##v## is a function of both y and x and y itself is a function of x. What's going on here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it should be dy/dx=v+x*dv/dx as per the product rule.

cnh1995 said:
I think it should be dy/dx=v+x*dv/dx as per the product rule.
I'm sorry, I forgot to add the X in the 2nd term. My mistake.
I'm still not sure what's going on though. :biggrin:

Drakkith said:
I'm working through a proof in my differential equations book, but I think I'm hung up on a basic calculus derivative.

If we have a function ##f(x,y)## and we substitute ##v=\frac{y}{x}## , rearrange to get ##y=vx##, and then take the derivative, supposedly by the product rule we get $$\frac{dy}{dx}=v+x\frac{dv}{dx}$$
I'm not quite sure how this works since ##v## is a function of both y and x and y itself is a function of x. What's going on here?
##v = \frac y x##, so in a sense v is a function of both x and y, but the assumption is that y is a function of x. This means that v is also a function of x alone.

Starting with the equation y = vx, differentiate both sides with respect to x. This gives you y' = v + v'x, just using the product rule.

Okay. I figured it was something easy I was missing. Thanks guys.

Related to Derivative When Substituting Variables

1. What is the concept of derivative when substituting variables?

The concept of derivative when substituting variables involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a new variable. This is useful when working with complex functions or when trying to solve for a specific variable in a function.

2. How do you find the derivative when substituting variables?

To find the derivative when substituting variables, you can use the chain rule. This involves substituting the new variable into the function and then taking the derivative of the resulting expression. You may also need to use the product or quotient rule if the function is more complex.

3. Why is it important to understand derivative when substituting variables?

Understanding how to find the derivative when substituting variables is important because it allows for more flexibility when working with functions. It also allows for solving for specific variables in a function, which can be useful in many real-world applications.

4. Can the derivative when substituting variables be used to find the slope of a tangent line?

Yes, the derivative when substituting variables can be used to find the slope of a tangent line. This is because the derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, which is the same as the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using the derivative when substituting variables?

One limitation of using the derivative when substituting variables is that it may not always be possible to find an exact solution or simplify the resulting expression. In some cases, the derivative may also be undefined or infinite, which can make it difficult to interpret. Additionally, using the chain rule and other derivative rules can be challenging and require practice to master.