Derivative related to equal areas proof

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation from Kleppner and Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics text on page 241 (1st edition). The equation is missing a dot over the first theta on the right-hand side and the person asking the question is confused about where the r dot comes from. The expert confirms that the book is missing a dot over the theta and explains that the r dot comes from differentiating with respect to time instead of r.
mishima
Kleppner and Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics text on page 241 (1st edition) has:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](r2[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex])=r(2[itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]+r[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex])

Is this wrong or am I missing something? I get:

r(2[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]+r[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex])

...by product rule. It seems at the least the book should have a theta dot in the first term. I don't see where the r dot comes from though. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mishima said:
Kleppner and Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics text on page 241 (1st edition) has:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](r2[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex])=r(2[itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]+r[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex])

Is this wrong or am I missing something? I get:

r(2[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]+r[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex])

...by product rule. It seems at the least the book should have a theta dot in the first term. I don't see where the r dot comes from though. Thank you.

It does seem the book is missing a dot over the first theta on the right hand side. Otherwise the book answer is correct, and your is not. As for the r dot, what do you think is the result of:

d/dt (r^2)

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} (f(x))^2 = 2f(x)\frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/itex]

Thanks, I was doing d/dr instead of d/dt. And thanks for confirming the theta dot.

Related to Derivative related to equal areas proof

1. What is the "Derivative related to equal areas proof"?

The "Derivative related to equal areas proof" is a mathematical concept that shows the relationship between the derivative of a function and the area under its curve. It is used to prove the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations.

2. How does the proof work?

The proof involves dividing the area under the curve into small rectangles and then taking the limit as the rectangles become smaller and smaller. This leads to the conclusion that the area under the curve is equal to the integral of the function, and the derivative of the function is equal to the height of the rectangles.

3. Why is the "Derivative related to equal areas proof" important?

This proof is important because it provides a rigorous and formal justification for the fundamental theorem of calculus. It also helps to explain the connection between differentiation and integration, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of this proof?

The "Derivative related to equal areas proof" has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and solve various problems involving continuous change.

5. Is this proof difficult to understand?

The "Derivative related to equal areas proof" can be challenging to understand at first, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts. However, with proper explanation and practice, it can be grasped by anyone with a basic understanding of calculus.