How to prove this statement about the derivative of a function

In summary: This means we have to show ##f(r)=r+C##. Or am I missing anything?What you're trying to prove amounts to solving a simple differential equation.
oliverkahn
Homework Statement
To prove: ##\dfrac{d[f(r)]}{dr}=## constant
Relevant Equations
Given (1): ##r=\sqrt{a^2 + p^2 - 2 ap \cos \theta}##

where ##a,p,\theta## are independent

Given (2): ##\dfrac{d[f(a+p)]}{dp}=\dfrac{d[f(a-p)]}{dp}##
My try:

##\begin{align}
\dfrac{d {r^2}}{d r} \dfrac{\partial r}{\partial p} = \dfrac{\partial {r^2}}{\partial p} \tag1\\
\dfrac{\partial r}{\partial p} = \dfrac{\partial {r^2}}{\partial p} \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{d r^2}{d r}}=\dfrac{p-a\cos\theta}{r} \tag2\\
\end{align}##

By chain rule:

##\dfrac{\partial [f(r)]}{\partial p}=\dfrac{d [f(r)]}{d r} \dfrac{\partial r}{\partial p} = \dfrac{d [f(r)]}{d r} \dfrac{p-a\cos\theta}{r}##

If it is the right approach, please complete the proof.

I do not even know if it is the right approach.

Thanks in advance ##\forall## help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose ##f(r) = r^7##.

##\frac{d f(r)}{dr} = 7r^6 \ne \text{constant}##

am I good so far?

This means we have to show ##f(r)=r+C##. Or am I missing anything?

Read your own question and imagine you are someone else reading it. Does that person know what ##f## is?

If not, you have some editing to do.

Oh! Ok... Let me edit it.

oliverkahn said:
To prove: ##\dfrac{d[f(r)]}{dr}=## constant
oliverkahn said:
This means we have to show ##f(r)=r+C##. Or am I missing anything?
What you're trying to prove amounts to solving a simple differential equation.
##\dfrac{d[f(r)]}{dr}= k \Rightarrow d~f(r) = k~dr \Rightarrow \int d~f(r) = \int k~dr##
Can you take it from here?

Actually I am trying to understand the paragraphs in the following article:

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

My teacher has shown the proof to me only until the fourth last equation, i.e. ##0= f'(a+p)-f'(a-p)##

From here I have to get ##f'(r)=C##. Any clue?

Since ##a## and ##p## are independent, let ##x=a+p## and ##y=a-p##. ##x## and ##y## are also independent. So ##f'(x) = f'(y)## for every ##x## and ##y##. Pretty much the definition of constant.

• Informative
Likes oliverkahn
I also have a question about this:
$$r^2=a^2-2ap\cos\theta+p^2\Rightarrow 2rdr=2ap\sin\theta$$
Why can he consider the differential with respect to ##r## as equal to the differential with respect to ##\theta##?
Never mind, chain rule.

Related to How to prove this statement about the derivative of a function

1. How do I prove the derivative of a function using the limit definition?

The limit definition of a derivative is one of the most common ways to prove the derivative of a function. To do this, you need to take the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0. If the limit exists, then it is equal to the derivative of the function at that point.

2. Can I use the power rule to prove the derivative of a function?

Yes, the power rule is a commonly used method to prove the derivative of a function. It states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). This rule can be applied to any polynomial function.

3. Is there a specific process or steps to follow when proving the derivative of a function?

Yes, there are several steps that can be followed to prove the derivative of a function. These include identifying the function, applying the appropriate derivative rule, simplifying the expression, and taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. It is important to carefully follow each step to ensure an accurate proof.

4. Can I use the chain rule to prove the derivative of a composite function?

Yes, the chain rule is a useful tool for proving the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. This rule can be applied to functions with multiple layers of composition.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving the derivative of a function?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when proving the derivative of a function. These include incorrect application of derivative rules, not simplifying the expression fully, and forgetting to take the limit as the change in x approaches 0. It is important to double check each step and avoid rushing through the proof to ensure accuracy.