Derivative Question- Chain Rule

In summary, you are trying to differentiate h(x) = sin [(x2 + 1)2] and are having difficulty following your procedure.
char808

Homework Statement

The derivative of the function
h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)

Homework Equations

Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)

f(u) = sinu^2, f'(u)= 2ucosu^2
g(x) = x^2+1 g(x)= 2xI get lost putting this back together but:

2(sinu^2)[cos(sinu^2)^2](2x) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to differentiate h(x) = sin [(x2 + 1)2] ? I'm currently having a hard time following your procedure (with the switching around of the h's and f's and u's and g's).

Last edited:
char808 said:

Homework Statement

The derivative of the function
h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)
This apparently is h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2).
char808 said:

Homework Equations

Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)

f(u) = sinu^2, f'(u)= 2ucosu^2
g(x) = x^2+1 g(x)= 2x
My guess is that your are looking at a formula for the chain rule as h(x) = f(g(x)).
In your problem, f(u) = sin(u), not sin2(u), so f'(u) = cos(u).

g(x) = ((x2 + 1)2), so g'(x) = ??

char808 said:
I get lost putting this back together but:

2(sinu^2)[cos(sinu^2)^2](2x) ?

Sorry, I was a bit out of it last night.

h(x) = sin(x^2+1)^2

I have been taught to break this into f(u) and g(x) to apply chain rule

So:

f(u) = sin(u) f'(u)=cos(u)
g(x) = (x^2+1)^2 g'(x) = 4x(x^2+1)

h'(x) = cos((x^2+1)^2)4x(x^2+1)

Yep that seems right. Just another note, I understand what you're doing, but I think if you end up confusing yourself by changing variables then it might not be worth it. I always thought of the chain rule as "Derivative of the outside function * derivative of inside function."

I conceptually could not grasp the chain rule last night. Today it "clicked" when I thought about it in those terms.

Part of the difficulty with this problem, from our side, was trying to understand what the function was.

In your first post, you had h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2).

Later, you wrote this as h(x) = sin(x^2+1)^2. This is still somewhat ambiguous, as it is not clear exactly what is being squared. From you derivative, it seems to be this:
h(x) = sin((x^2+1)^2).

In the latter form it is clear that x --> x^2 + 1 --> (x^2 + 1)^2 --> sin((x^2 + 1)^2).

Part of being able to get help in this or other forums or other resources is being able to write your question clearly and unambiguously.

Related to Derivative Question- Chain Rule

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it helps us find the rate of change of one function with respect to another function.

2. How do you use the Chain Rule?

To use the Chain Rule, we first take the derivative of the outer function, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This means we are essentially "unwrapping" the functions one at a time and finding the derivative of each one.

3. Why is the Chain Rule important?

The Chain Rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of multiple functions. Without the Chain Rule, it would be much more difficult to find the derivative of these types of functions.

4. Can you provide an example of using the Chain Rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x + 3)^2. To find the derivative, we first take the derivative of the outer function (2x + 3) which is 4x. Then we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function (2x + 3) which is 2. So the derivative of f(x) is 4x * 2 = 8x.

5. Is the Chain Rule always necessary?

No, the Chain Rule is not always necessary. It is only necessary when dealing with composite functions, or functions that are composed of multiple other functions. If the function is a simple polynomial or trigonometric function, we can find the derivative using other rules without needing the Chain Rule.